Stress Vomiting?

Guest beachpups

Guest beachpups

Okay, so the other night Tyson vomited in the middle of the night- I think it was just liquid (I cleaned it up 1/2 asleep). Now, every day, someone is throwing up liquid (yellow, like bile) when I am not home. They don't throw up when we are here, and no diarrhea... Could it be stress or SA? I plan on scheduling a vet appt, but I am also not sure which dog it is, so I would rather "catch" one at it, so i know who to take...

You can feed them a little more or anyway to get them a mid day snack??

Bounty used to run out and eat grass as soon as I get home and let him out then immediately come in and puke grass and bile!! I would be sure to give him some mid day snacks if possible and it helped.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Guest beachpups

i can't get home- I work 40 min from home....and my DH is 2 hrs from home.....

but, I can do more food each meal- and if that doesn't work I don't know, a timer bowl? ;)

Another thought might be a frozen kong with peanut butter or one of those toys that they have to rool around to get treats out of?? That might be enough....

How much do you usually feed?

Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Guest beachpups

I feed him 2 cups of kibble 2X/day

I would do the kong thing, but my girl is on a special diet and can't eat people food (intestinal lesion), and they are loose in the house during the day....

Maybe when she is better, we can switch to that...

Can I ask which food you give him?

One of my dogs vomited yellow slime daily for months. Many $ in tests and many between-meal snacks later, with no results, I switched to a completely different brand of food, and the vomiting stopped.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest beachpups

I feed them Nutro Chicken Oatmeal and Rice- he has been on it pretty much since he has been with me and done fine- he isn't throwing up food, just liquid, so I am not sure whether the food could be causing it, and it appears to have already digested....

I'm watching him this weekend and will see what transpires...

I think Batmom's suggestion isn't that the food doesn't agree with him but maybe he digests it fast and then his belly is empty so a different food might stick with him longer.

I think Batmom's suggestion isn't that the food doesn't agree with him but maybe he digests it fast and then his belly is empty so a different food might stick with him longer.

One of those :lol . Don't know which one. I actually suspect it was an ingredient in the food because snacks didn't help. But really no idea. Just that when I changed to a totally different brand, it was like turning off a tap -- problem solved.

Nutro was the food brand that didn't agree.

I've heard of one or two other people on the board whose dogs had the same problem with the same brand, so it's worth keeping in mind if snacks/extra food don't work.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest beachpups

Thanks all! We haven't had problems yet today (I'm home all weekend), but if it doesn't seem to change, I'll start looking into different food!

Well Missile has been puking up the yellow stuff both on Eukanuba, when we first got him, then on Merrick, which we are switching off of and now on a blend of Merrick/California Natural. So I am inclined to think it has to do with the empty belly syndrome. I started giving him a half cup of kibble at night with a teaspoon of Neura Meats. We are still trying to deal with loose/diahrea stools so that's the reason for food changes. ;-(

Edited by Missilesmom

Missile.jpg

BABY, HE WAS BORN TO RUN!

Just to put a different spin on this; our Sheltie went through this for months. We had her tested for worms and parasites, checked out at the vet, and nothing was found. We wondered, like you, if it was stress related because it usually happened when we were out. Then one day we were at the cottage and noticed big fat worms after she went to the bathroom. We treated her for worms then and every few years after that and she never had the bile vomitting episodes again. May have been a coincidence but I do not think so.

The problem with testing for worms is they are easily missed depending on what stage in their cycle they are in.

She was otherwise a very healthy doggie and lived until 17.5 years old!!

Leanne :)

I wonder if there has been a formula or ingredient change in Nutro...it seems like I have heard of several dogs that have had a digestive problem recently that are on Nutro.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

I wonder if there has been a formula or ingredient change in Nutro...it seems like I have heard of several dogs that have had a digestive problem recently that are on Nutro.

The problem we had with it was years ago. Which is not to say they couldn't've changed the formula since then.

Guest beachpups

Okay, so he didn't throw up all weekend, but yesterday, when he was with my sitter at home, he threw up.... I gotta schedule that vet appt!!! The worms thing makes me think- but wouldn't it cause diarrhea too?

We added a 3rd meal a day for this exact reason. Not more food, just spread out more. They get fed when we get up in the morning, when I get home from work, and about an hour before bed. This almost eliminated the bile vomiting and eating grass vomiting around here. Occasionally if we have a problem, we will give Pepcid. However, around here, a full tummy seems to be a happy one. If I try to sleep in or am late getting home, bile vomit!!

Our Sheltie did not have diarrhea when she had worms. The vomitting bile went on for a very long time-months and months. That's why we thought it was behavioural and not health or diet related.

Leanne :)

We added a 3rd meal a day for this exact reason. Not more food, just spread out more. They get fed when we get up in the morning, when I get home from work, and about an hour before bed. This almost eliminated the bile vomiting and eating grass vomiting around here. Occasionally if we have a problem, we will give Pepcid. However, around here, a full tummy seems to be a happy one. If I try to sleep in or am late getting home, bile vomit!!

Me too, this is what I am doing. I decrease his dinner by 1/2 cup of kibble and give it back to him just before bed.

Missile.jpg

BABY, HE WAS BORN TO RUN!