How Old Should A Puppy Be

10 months would be an absolute freak of nature for a greyhound. I am surprised any time I hear of a greyhound bitch coming in for the first time before she turned two. I know of ONE girl.

Even if she did, it's a pain in the butt for 3 weeks or so, but then all is back to normal. It's not as if coming into season unexpectedly causes anything life-threatening, even in the long-term. Yes, it somewhat raises the RISK of a few conditions later on in life, but not by any huge amount.

Lynn

Edited by LynnM

Elphie was spayed at 4 months... no ill effects that I have seen. She recovered wonderfully and I believe is a very healthy 21 month old.

BTW, I worked at a spay/neuter clinic for 3 years and we routinely did puppies and kittens as early as 8 weeks old (they had to be at least 2 pounds)! They were the BEST surgeries EVER!!! Those little girls and guys were up eating and playing an hour after the surgery. You couldn't tell they had even had surgery.

:nod I was going to say the same...puppies we did around 7-8 weeks as long as they were healthy, kittens we did as soon as they weighed two lbs. They also don't have to fast prior to surgery and recovery time is nothing...the incision made is so tiny it only needs 2 sutures and they're up and moving around an hour or so after surgery like nothing ever happened.

I will echo what LynnM said about greyhounds though...they seem to take a long time to have their first heat. But, Sue is asking about Sally, who isn't a greyhound...I'd get her done ASAP, in my opinion. Different vets have different policies though. But Sue, if your vet is ok with doing it anytime, Sally certainly is old enough to have the surgery, she probably was old enough the day you got her.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Hi,

We've had two male greyhound pups. We neutered the first one at 6 months and oh boy, was Tucker gangly. He had a lot of health issues early on too. Don't know if the early neuter was the cause. We neutered our second pup at 9 months. Cullen's less gangly and had no health issues until he started having seizures just before his 8th birthday. (He's pushing 10 now and does have some nagging health issues right now.) Again, who knows why.

If I were to do it again, I'd use Lynn's protocol and wait as long as possible. I do understand why some pups need to be neutered and spayed early, though.

As an aside, it seems that a lot of sires and broods seem to live much longer than most greyhounds who are adopted out and neutered at the usual time, yet there are plenty of those who live into their teens too. Maybe it's just luck of the draw!

Marcia in SC