Advice Needed Urgently....bloody Vomit....on Rimadyl

Guest alannamac

I'm so glad he's doing better.

This was scary for me to read about because our Wizard has been on Previcox for 5 days now (it's his last day) for intermittent leg pain. Our vet did bloodwork beforehand and felt the benefit outweighed the risks for a short course, given the bloodwork results. But I confess I have still been feeling nervous. No problems, though.

And no problems with either Rimadyl or Previcox long=term for our arthritic bridge angel Simon in the past.

It's a difficult decision when there are both benefits and risks with a treatment.

I do wish there were a safer drug of this type available for dogs, though...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad Bandit is doing better :)

Hugs to mom because I know exactly how she feels; though, the cause of Vinnie's bleeding was not from an NSAID. He was able to use metacam just fine later on :)

Now, my question is, did the vet tell you that the carafate, pepcid, and other meds should not be given at the same time? For Vin, I made a chart and put it on the fridge, so I didn't miss any of the meds or give them too close together. Since some can counteract each other, I needed a list ;) The only thing I remember right now is that the strict rules were with the carafate and the antacid.

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Now, my question is, did the vet tell you that the carafate, pepcid, and other meds should not be given at the same time? For Vin, I made a chart and put it on the fridge, so I didn't miss any of the meds or give them too close together. Since some can counteract each other, I needed a list ;) The only thing I remember right now is that the strict rules were with the carafate and the antacid.

Poor Ryan was getting meds every 1, 2, 4, and 6 hours :eek

The carafate should be at 2 hours before the antacid or 1 hour after... or maybe it was at least 1 hour before and 2 hours after. I forget... check with your vet :lol:

Rimadyl, Deramaxx, and Metacam *are* the safer drugs. At least, today's safer drugs. Our arthritic dog had to settle for butazolidin, which almost no one would prescribe today.

Try looking up how many human adverse reactions and deaths a year due to aspirin taken at ordinary, approved dosages .....

None of which helps when it's you or your dog who has the bad reaction.

Hope pupper continues to improve!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest charmsmom
It's a difficult decision when there are both benefits and risks with a treatment.

What about Metacam? My vet has had both of my dogs on it for one injury or another for several days. She does say to watch for digestive upset, but we haven't had any problems.

Guest alannamac
I'm glad Bandit is doing better :)

Hugs to mom because I know exactly how she feels; though, the cause of Vinnie's bleeding was not from an NSAID. He was able to use metacam just fine later on :)

Yes, thanks for asking. The vet said that the carafate should be taken one hour before or after any other medication........ as it is intended to coat the stomach it has great binding capabilities, and therefore could bind any other medication taken and prevent it from being absorbed properly

Yes, I've had to make a chart too to try to get the timings right on these. 6 different times a day I'm giving Bandit a pill or several pills, and it was too hard to keep straight without a chart! I chose to give the carafate first and then the other two meds an hour later since the antibiotic apparently is a stomach irritant! (Poor old Nanner's stomach..... :huh one foot on a banana peel the other on a roller skate)

Your chart will be handy about the third or fourth day after you have been worried almost to death and the sleeplessness catches up with you. I remember feeling like a walking zombie. Since it wasn't meds that made Vin bleed, I was still worrying what was going on. I'm glad you know what happened as you can mark that worry off your list ;)

Continued healing thoughts coming your way,

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

I have a non grey and she was put on Metacam while at the ER with high fever and pneumonia. The Metacam caused intestinal bleeding within a couple of days :o The ER said she needed a blood transfusion but I told them to stop the Metacam and within 12 hours her blood results were improved and obviously no transfusion needed :angry: . When I got her home my holistic vet gave her B12 shots and her blood was 100% normal within a short time. They never did find out why she had the high fever but it cost $6,000 for them to almost kill her off trying to find out :devil

anneh

Yes indeed, everyone taking ibuprofen and aspirin should stop; I am proof of that. About 10 years ago I was taking both. (No one knew at the time that the combination was dangerous.) I am paying for that big time now; the combination of drugs gave me microscopic collagenous colitis that has given me terrible gut problems the last 7 years. Now I need a steroid for the gut to get any semblance of normality in that dept.

The good news is that an alternative to NSAIDS for pain is tramadol. One has to be careful using it if one is seizure-prone but with care, even those patients can take it. Our epi dog, Cullen, is able to have it in moderation as needed. (He has gut bleeding once in a while too; he must take after me. :) I take Tramadol too once in a while although we're on different formulas. I don't dare take aspirin or the other NSAIDS, knowing what damage it did to my gut. I won't give it to Cullen either.

May Bandit keep getting better!

Marcia

Tramadol is a VERY serious pain killer - kin to narcotics!! Much more serious than NSAIDS! It's just preferred over the more common narcotics for long term use. Also, Tramadol works differently than NSAIDS. Tramadol is a straight pain killer - masks the pain. NSAIDS are anti-inflammatorys; they actually help the body relieve or stop inflammation.

As has been said product, drug or natural substance, has possible side effects and can even kill. It is up to you to be the educated consumer, whether it is for yourself, your family, or your pets. The ONLY alternative is to not take ANYTHING.