Question About Uti's

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

Henry was diagnosed with a UTI almost two weeks ago. He is almost finished with his Amoxicilin. Do you think it is safe to assume the UTI is gone when he is done with the meds, or should I request a re-check to be safe, especially since I think the UTI is what may have triggered Henry's last seizure??

Guest Tenderhearts

Any time Lori Ann had a UTI, we always ran another urinalysis when she completed antibiotics just to make sure.

Did his stools finally firm back up?

Give that sweet fellow a hug for me! :grouphug

Guest WarmheartedPups

I have been told in a male dog they usually dont get UTI's...just how their anatomy is set up. So a lot of the time, there is something causing it...maybe stones or ???

I know I took Otis back for sure for a reculture.. I would do that if I were you.

Guest EmilyAnne

We'll be in Florida, so the re-check would be with a vet there. Just in case, he still has it, how have ya'll treated your grey's UTI's? I am considering maybe going the natural route with probiotics if it comes back? Does anyone know if this is safe with epilepsy meds? (Kbr ad pheno)

Don't know about probiotics and such. We have used a variety of meds for UTIs; usually my vets bring out the big gun antibiotics (Baytril and such) only if the UTI doesn't clear up with other meds or if they've cultured. If I'm going to recheck, I wait 10-14 days after the antibiotics are done. I often recheck but not always -- if dog has very distinct symptoms (unmistakably UTI and not something else), no history of repeat/hard-to-cure infections, and it was a mild case to begin with, I might not.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest SilveDM

Finish up the antibiotics, then take him back to the vet after a couple days for a recheck. Given that you think the UTI triggered a seizure, better safe than sorry. Best of luck to you!

Guest LindsaySF
Finish up the antibiotics, then take him back to the vet after a couple days for a recheck. Given that you think the UTI triggered a seizure, better safe than sorry. Best of luck to you!

Guest EmilyAnne

I need to figure what length of time is ideal to wait before the re-check. I am afraid if I take him in two days later and does have a lurking mild UTI leftover, it may not show up yet, so I am thinking have his urine checked 1 week after being finished with his meds?

Also, does anybody know anything about probiotics? We are leaving for Florida on Jan. 2nd and I am thinking probiotics might be the better way to go as hefty antibiotics can make a dog feel rather icky. Combining the stress of a 3 day drive plus hefty antibiotics might be a bit much.

Jan. 2nd will be 8 days after finishing his antibiotics. I think we'll have it checked as we are heading out.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

If anything, try cranberry. It changes the pH of the urine and hopefully changes the environment enough that bacteria can't live and reproduce.

Probiotics and UTI's is often based on the idea of a females "good vaginal bacteria" has depleted thus causing a UTI in the urethra (anatomical reasons) thus the probiotics would cause the good bacteria to flourish and hopefully kill off the bad.

I personally wouldn't want to experiment with that ideal JMHO. My reasoning: Yardman had a heavy duty infection when we took him in. It took 9 months to fully eradicate. Had his previous owners sought care immediately, Yardman would have been spared a lot of meds and needles.