Ember's Toe Split, Yet Again....

Guest EmbersDad

Guest EmbersDad

well, it happened again. this is the 3rd time that ember split her toe open after the original cut back in the summer. its seems its happening every couple months. i tried the thera paw boot, and she hates it....her long nails make it tough to fit, and the thing fell off on our walk last night. i had to go retrace my steps for the last block and a half to find it. my vet mentioned possibly amputating the toe since this is obviously a chronic condition. i really didnt want to go there, but i want what is best for her, and maybe this is the road i should take. i would love to hear opinions, pro or con, for toe amputation. its her inside right toe that keeps splitting.

thanx everyone, in advance

t

The kind of recurring injury you describe is usually the result of a dislocated toe that repeatedly causes the skin to split open from the inside-out.

There are a couple of procedures for dislocations that can work and prevent amputation. But, given the length of time this has been going on, those procedures would not have a good chance of success. At this point, amputation is probably the best bet.

Which toe is it??? If it's an "outboard" toe, I wouldn't even think twice about amputating. If it's one of the two "inboard" toes, there may be other issues post-amputation, mostly dependent on how active the dog is.

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

Tom I'm so sorry. Poor Ember. I agree, if it isn't a weight bearing toe I would go ahead with the amp. It's short term pain for long term relief. Foxy is missing her left front outer toe and has never noticed it's gone I'm sure.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest EmbersDad
The kind of recurring injury you describe is usually the result of a dislocated toe that repeatedly causes the skin to split open from the inside-out.

There are a couple of procedures for dislocations that can work and prevent amputation. But, given the length of time this has been going on, those procedures would not have a good chance of success. At this point, amputation is probably the best bet.

Which toe is it??? If it's an "outboard" toe, I wouldn't even think twice about amputating. If it's one of the two "inboard" toes, there may be other issues post-amputation, mostly dependent on how active the dog is.

in an inside one, right foot, same side as the dew claw. we just got home from the vet. dr g examined her toe, cleaned it up a bit, said it was much more superficial this time and the tissue was granulating around it. we decided to keep it for now. i am to use my thera paw boot regularly when we go outside. they are gonna work up an estimate for an amputation, but i am hopeful that she can heal up and we will be ok.

Guest KateWantsaGrey

if this keeps up she would probably be happier to just say good bye to the problem toe. I don't really know a lot about this kind of stuff, what is the draw back of amp. the toe? Do we really need our toes? or can one toe make a big difference?

Our grey went through that. The vet gave the same explanation that Pam mentioned above--an existing injury to the toe which was causing a split from the inside out--despite our best efforts to get the toe to heal. The last time the toe split open, it was to the point where she had literally ripped through the joint capsule and the toe could not be saved. Tomorrow will be 7 weeks since the toe was amputated, and at this point life is back to normal.

The first few weeks after amputation were a little challenging with bandage changes and trying to keep a very busy dog calm & still. Now we're at the point where the amputation isn't really noticable, and we can honestly say that she's better off without the problem toe and the chronic wound issue.

If you have any specific questions about the amputation/healing process, please feel free to send me a PM.

Guest rumblephish

Removing the problem does seem to be the best idea. There really shouldn't be any problems once everything is healed. Life will be a little hard keeping bandages dry and the amputation site relativley clean but considering what you have already been through it should really be fine.

I see a couple of dogs (non-greys) pretty regularly who have had this proceedure and you'd never know unless you really look carefully.

Mike