Growth Rate Of A Puppy

Guest SILENT

hi everyone, im latest to join this forum. i have a question that id like answered if possible. at what age should i expect my greyhound puppy to stop growing at. shes now 8 months, she seems to have leveled off and is holding the same weight now for 3 weeks so should i expect more from her or has she done all her growing ?

many thanks

Guest ThunderPaws

You should see them grow until they are about 14 months, then they will continue to fill out.

Seems as if they stop growing for a week, and then grow like a weed the next. :P

We like to see PICTURES of your puppy!!! :colgate

Not sure. I have a puppy who is almost seven months. I've been told that they reach their height at around a year, but then take more time filling out. I don't really know for certain though -- I'm interested

in hearing what others have to say about this.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Fenway is 14 months and going through another growth spurt. I recently asked this question as well, and the general consensus was they'd reach adult height between 15-18 months, and could continue to fill out all the way until they turn three.

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest greyhounder

My pup will be 2 in April. He's VERY tall and lanky.. he's still filling out.. He definately went through a "My mommy is starving me" phase where he was growing so fast he couldn't east enough to keep up with his growth and energy level.

I would expect more growth at only 8 months :)

Our Angel Puppy, Vinnie :angelwings was 14 months when he went to the Bridge and he was still growing and filling out, we called him our monster puppy, he was even bigger than his Uncle who was a year and a half older! He was 77 lbs and really tall, standing normal or hugging, though hugging was very intimidating to those not use to having a furkid looking down at them.

We got his sister, our little Princess Gracie :heart a couple weeks after he went to the Bridge and she was very tiny and petite, a true little girl. Even her head was smaller, much smaller and lighter! When we picked her up she was about 53 lbs and I couldn't even reach the top of her back when she was standing next to me and I had my fingers outstretched - now she is about 69 lbs and I can put my whole hand around the top of her back, and I think she is finally done growing - at 2-1/2 yrs!

The funny thing about greyhound puppies - they grow every which way at different times and at the same time - first, up goes the rear end, then goes the head, then the front end, now here we go, we're getting rid of the little puppy belly, now up goes the rear end again... :hehe

So cute and funny, you don't notice it all when you are right on top of it - take lots of pictures (sharing is great), as this is the only way to notice all the changes! Enjoy puppyhood, it goes all too fast. Mmm...puppy feet, gotta love 'em. :wub: :wub:

Guest Giselle

Typical growth chart of a puppy (most breeds will follow this pattern):

weight.JPG

Although it's an age vs. weight chart, it highly correlates to height.

As you can see, from 5-8 months, or around 6 months, there is a rapid growth spurt. After the peak growth period from 8-9 months, the vertical growth slows down. So, depending on breed, whatever height your pup is right now, that's probably going to be within 1-3" of his/her adult height. Of course, your pup will continue to fill out until about 3 years like the others mentioned before :)

hey thanks for your replies. this growth chart is exactly what id been looking for ! ok i know its applicable to your dogs but im sure its an average of most greyhounds.

ill post pix of my little girl later today.

thanks again !

Guest gapeach1

You should expect that your houndie will keep growing at least until he is at least two years old, and then begin filling out. Our boy, Bullet, is eating his food like there is no tomorrow. We were also advised by our vet to ensure that he had calcium supplements because the pups bones were so soft, and easily broken.

Guest savvyprchick

This was Lulu at approximately 6 months:

Halloween2006.jpg

At approximately 7 months:

ChaseandLulu007.jpg

At approximately 11 months:

LuluandMe004.jpg

At approximately 14 months (with my DBF, who is 6'5"!)

Photo005.jpg

And yesterday, approximately 19 1/2 months:

CIMG0204.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't have one of her standing next to Chase right now. She finally stopped growing at about 16 months (I hope... she's now 19 months). She's a full 1"- 1 1/2" taller than Chase and weighed the same as him in September (16 months-- 76 pounds). She still has a lot of filling out to do, but I think she's done growing!

I love my Amazon girlie :wub:

Edited by savvyprchick

Typical growth chart of a puppy (most breeds will follow this pattern):

weight.JPG

Although it's an age vs. weight chart, it highly correlates to height.

As you can see, from 5-8 months, or around 6 months, there is a rapid growth spurt. After the peak growth period from 8-9 months, the vertical growth slows down. So, depending on breed, whatever height your pup is right now, that's probably going to be within 1-3" of his/her adult height. Of course, your pup will continue to fill out until about 3 years like the others mentioned before :)

sophie im sorry but have you got the weights right here...45kgs ? or is it just that seems huge to me :eek

silent