Daisy's Scary Weekend

Guest weycoolgrey

Guest weycoolgrey

We had our first ever hound-related medical situation this weekend :(

I left for New York early yesterday morning (just a nice girl's weekend with my mother in law and sister in law). When I got up early yesterday, Daisy had really bad Big D, then came in the house and threw up. I told my husband about it but I left because I had the train to catch (not really thinking TOO much of it- just a one time thing).

DH called while I was on the train and said she was still throwing up and had bad diarrhea several times and that he called the vet. They wanted her brought in. Of course, now I'm on my way to see the Rockettes (which was AMAZING), but all I could think about was my poor baby and my husband dealing with it alone!

They checked her out and gave her an IV because she was surely dehydrated. They didn't think it was anything, but wants us to monitor her for a couple of days- if it continues we will need to do an X-ray. She has not been sick since (thank goodness). The vet thought she probably ate something that she shouldn't have. We are on orders to feed her boiled chicken and rice for the next two days- small amounts, several times per day.

I feel awful- number one because if she did get into something that she shouldn't have, it means we weren't monitoring her to the fullest degree (which we obviously are always conscience of to the best of our ability). Also, I felt bad being so far away from her.....I came home tonight, dropped my bags and have been having serious cuddles with her since.

If you can spare a few hopeful thoughts for her I would appreciate it....it looks like we are out of the woods, but I'm still so nervous!

Edited by weycoolgrey

Poor girls, both of you! Puppies tend to bounce back quickly, I hope that's the case here too. Sending hugs your way. :)

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I just feel that Daisy is going to be just fine. :) BrookLynne had something very similar and boy was she sick. They gave her a shot for nausea and some Cerenia along with some IV fluids. I think that the little stinker ate something outside because she once brought a dead bird in the house. :o Hug Miss Daisy for me...she is going to be just fine I'm sure! :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Don't blame yourself, you can't have eyes everywhere all of the time. If she snarfed something she shouldn't have then :shakefinger to her. Hope she's feeling better this morning.

Big scritches to that speckled eared cutie.

Edited by MomofSweetPotatoes

I'm sorry to hear you have been sick and hope you feel better soon sis! I know that your mom and dad can't watch everything you eat because we puppy girls are so fast. Even when they are watching, I've managed to get things into my mouth even on a leash walk. So tell your mom and dad not to feel upset. :grouphug

Love,

Roo

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Guest skinnydog

You can't watch them every second. It's something that could happen to any of us, and probably has. Don't beat yourself up. Sending hugs to you guys and your pooper.

Guest FordRacingRon

Hope your pup is feeling better. Really they are like 3 years old children,,,the second you back is turned they are off doing what they shouldn't be,,,which in probably both cases (never had children so I am guessing at this) includes ignoring the 10 second rule,,in otherwords if something on the ground looks like food it must be. Get better Daisy....

Edited by FordRacingRon

Guest weycoolgrey

Well, Daisy had a really good time romping in the snow this morning....I'm taking that as a positive sign! Called DH who is home today and he said she is acting more like herself today. Whew!