Price Of Potassium Bromide?

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

My husband just picked up 60ml of 250 mg Potassium Bromide. I was a little surprised that it cost $39.96? So I looked it up at Dr.Foster and Smith: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...1-60休 And their price was waaaaayyyyy cheaper, like $4.80 or something like that, cant remember exactly. I wonder if there is a mistake? Our vet has a price garuantee and promises to meet or beat the lowest price on all meds. Also, they put the wrong dosage amount on the bottle. The dosage amount on the bottle is only half what it is supposed to be. I had told them exactly what doses and strength Henry takes, even showing them the med bottles and having them call the old vet. They still got the dose wrong? That alarms me cause what if Henry had an emergency at the vet and they did not know the correct amount to give him? We were intending to switch vets anyways, this is just all the more reason to switch! I was wondering if the rest of ya'll pay a similar price and does it sound right?

Guest EmilyAnne
60ml would be roughly 2 fluid ounces. Perhaps you actually have 600ml?

No, it's a little teeny bottle. That was the first thing that got my attention was how small the bottle is. It is literally sixty mls! I am so afraid they messed up the medicine too seeing as to how it has the wrong dose amount on the bottle, yet says it is the same strength? They even spelled Henry's name wrong.

So! Are you sure it's Henry's RX?! Glad that my dogs aren't any liquid meds. When we get new meds, I always look up the pills by shape, color and mark to make sure they are what they're supposed to be. Mistakes do happen. When I had a foster on KBR, the bottle was about 6" high, it was around $40.

Guest EmilyAnne
So! Are you sure it's Henry's RX?! Glad that my dogs aren't any liquid meds. When we get new meds, I always look up the pills by shape, color and mark to make sure they are what they're supposed to be. Mistakes do happen. When I had a foster on KBR, the bottle was about 6" high, it was around $40.
It has his last name spelled right on the bottle. They spelled his name 'Henery B*****'. I am leery of using this stuff though because it says only to give 1 ml and Henry is supposed to get TWO mls. I need to know why it has a different dose amount on it though it is the same strength? I like the idea of pills. I am going to ask about pill form of Kbr when we go to our new vet. This prescription was pretty much the last thing we were doing through this vet.

Guest vahoundlover

I'd take it back to the pharmacy and question them about it. The only pharmacy here that would fill Busters started off very reasonable and gradually got VERY expensive over the years. We now use CVS and they are a LOT cheaper than what we use to pay. The bottle we have now is 200ML?? and it was $7.

I get 120 1000mg. capsules for $50.00 which is two months worth for us so it comes to $25.00 a month.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

There is a huge variation from place to place in the charges for medications. FWIW, I've had great luck getting Piper's liquid KBr via mail. Even with the postage, it was quite inexpensive. I use the pharmacy of the pharmacist who volunteers on our Epil-K9 email list. If you are interested, let me know and I'll PM you the contact info. Also, there is a list of pharmacies that supply KBr reasonably on this web site List of good compounding pharmacies.

Remember that the dose is affected by 2 factors for liquid KBr--the amount you give and the strength of the solution of medication. Piper's KBr is a solution of 400 mg of KBr per ml of fluid. If I give 1 ml of liquid as his dose he gets 400 mg of KBr. If I give 1/2 a ml, he gets 200 mg of KBr. Check the solution's strength on the bottle--it may be that they changed that and adjusted the dose accordingly.

I do think that is way too much to pay. There are less expensive sources for that med, for sure.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest EmilyAnne

Lbass, thank you for that list. When I call the vet today to ask why the bottle says only to give half the old amount thought it is still 250 mg as the other stuff, I am going to ask that they fax Henry's two prescriptions (phenobarbital and potassium bromide) over to one of these places. This refill I got is only a 15 day supply so I am going to need to order more soon.