Ummm...hair Raising Stuff?

Guest greycious_gal

Guest greycious_gal

I just have to know. Have broken my doggy? When Wink comes in from outside, his hair is standing up. Is he just really cold, or is something wrong? (I'm terrified of dehydration in winter!) It mostly lays flat after a while. . .

The new food mix we have the dogs on is throwing me a bit. The hair is glossy, as it should be, but each hair almost seems thicker somehow. Wink's hair near his hip bones is curling up slightly. (I think he did this last year, though I'm not sure.) I'm probably paranoid. You can feel free to tell me if you think I am.

I just don't like seeing kind of through his coat when it's standing up. It makes me feel badly. Can you tell this is only the second winter we've gone through with this big guy?

Guest greycious_gal

Well, it's possible it's partly winter coat. It sure doesn't do this in the summer. I would leave his coat on him for outs, but we haven't found anything he *can't* manage to sprinkle on outs. :rolleyes:

It's the cold. Joseph does it. Joseph does not have anything resembling a winter coat (of his own hair) -- boy still has his summer fur on top and of course nothing beneath since he got shaved for his surgery.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

The only time I have seen this was on Beau when he injured himself and he was freaked. Don't know.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Tipper's fur stands up between his hips when he's very cold. It stands up between his shoulders when he's angry.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest greycious_gal

Okay, so I'm not losing it. Other people have seen similar stuff, so I'm not going to wig out at this point. He's basically a happy-go-lucky boy unless I don't answer the doorbell...uhhh...doorbark when he's ready. :P

Yep, it is cold. Their hair stands up to add an extra "air barrier" between the outside cold and their skin. :)

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

I would leave his coat on him for outs, but we haven't found anything he *can't* manage to sprinkle on outs.

Sweaters! I have a bunch of the cable knits from ChillyDogSweaters.com. (XXXLarge fits greys below 80 pounds)The front legs go through armholes, but there is no belly band or coverage near the plumbing. Monty still pees on his front feet half the time, but the sweaters stay dry. Winter coats are a problem, but those sweaters are wool and keep him warm for his outings.

Guest lvl0cmr

My adoption group is adament about putting a coat on your dog anytime you think it is cold enough to wear a coat yourself. Greyhounds don't have an undercoat of fur that many other breeds have and also have very little fat. If you think your dog is cold, are you providing him some type of protection against the weather when he goes out? Our rotten babies have about 7 different "outfits" for all types of weather. Ther are tons of options available at pet stores and on the internet for dog coats.

Guest greycious_gal

For longer "outs" or exercise/walks I would definitely use a coat. These are short potty breaks that they are dashing out 20 feet from the back door and back in for (7-10 minutes tops).

Guest lvl0cmr

Granted I don't know how cold it is where you live and I'm not trying to be argumentative-but-10 minutes outside in the cold without a coat is not a short break. I don't know if maybe we are just overprotective-does anyone have input about how long you let your dogs out and at what temperatures without putting a coat on them?

And then there are dogs like Joseph who feel that a fellow can't possibly wear a coat and go to the bathroom at the same time. He will wear his sweater-vest. When it gets down below 0 F we usually try a full coat and usually end up flipping that back up ...... Else his feet will freeze and he!! will probably freeze over before he decides to go. And don't even mention boots in his hearing .... :rofl :rofl

I live in @ the same place as OP. There've been a few single-digit nights but it really isn't that cold here yet.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest lvl0cmr
I live in @ the same place as OP. There've been a few single-digit nights but it really isn't that cold here yet.

Holy cow! Mine seem to love autumn weather but if it is under 50 degrees out mine like their windbreakers on. And don't even think about trying to go out in the rain without the raincoats! If it is cold enough for snow they have super heavy coats and "gator" turtle necks. I just hold up the coats and they dive right into them. Is it possible we don't even know the meaning of COLD :lol !!

Guest greycious_gal

Brin's a Wisconsin dog. Wink was a Kansas dog. I would think they both know cold. ;) Brin wants to play in the snow and prefers no coat...just a quick response to the first bark at the door (which we do...or don't even allow the first bark). If it's that cold, they go the 14 steps away from the door, do it, and run back. I doubt they would ever be in trouble. Our winters haven't been as hard as they've been in the past. (Though this winter may be different)

*looking at 8 inches of snow* :P