Need Ideas! Peeing In The House

Guest CyndiW

What would make an 11 year old greyhound suddenly have accidents in the house? He had tieback surgery 2 weeks ago for laryngeal paralysis. That all went very well. He has been eating the recommended meatballs (made from canned food) for 2 weeks and then a few days ago I started switching him back to his regular kibble (soaked). When I came home from work on Thursday and he was squirting pee everywhere, I first thought that maybe the change in food again affected his PH level causing the excess urine. However, he did it again last night so I took in a sample this morning and the PH level was fine and there was no blood or bacteria. The vet said if he continues to do it then we probably need some abdominal x-rays to rule out some other stuff. He is not on any medication or supplements at this time. Other than these sudden accidents, he is acting fine - eating and playing.

They did not culture the urine. The salt in the kibble makes sense. I have not noticed him drinking more water though. His urine was very yellow and extremely stinky. Even the vet commented on this so I think she was surprised as I was that it came back clean. If the salt is acting as a diuretic, then it would definitely make sense why he couldn't hold it. The two times that he went in front of me it was almost as if he didn't even know what was happening. It just came bursting out. He normally has a bladder of steel and can hold it for 10-12 hours in an emergency. He only usually goes 2-3 times a day even when offered much more. Hopefully this issue will just work itself out before I have to put him through anything else.

Just realized though.... Salt makes us retain water and doesn't act as a diuretic but you are right, it must come out eventually. Hmmmmm.... maybe he is backwards or maybe he is drinking more water when I am not looking.

Edited by CyndiW

Dark and stinky can mean UTI. When D has had them, he can't hold it, and the pee is FUNKY smelling and darker than normal :eek . The only time he's ever peed in the house was with a UTI. He just stood up and started peeing :blink: -- totally not like him, he's one to always ask to go out if he needs it. Poor boy had to keep going out every couple of hours till the antibiotics kicked in, and you could tell he really didn't feel well. :(

To really be sure, a culture would need to be done, but with him having trouble holding, and it being dark and stinky, I'd probably insist on a course of antibiotics. UTI's don't always show up in tests right away, esp. if a culture wasn't done.

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

How long does a urine culture usually take to come back? I'm sure they probably already discarded that sample which means I would have to take them another one on Monday to send off. It would be nice if this problem continues for them to go on ahead and start him on some antibiotics until we find out the problem. If his accidents become more frequent or if he starts to show signs of discomfort or pain, I will take him somewhere this weekend or have them call something in.

How long does a urine culture usually take to come back? I'm sure they probably already discarded that sample which means I would have to take them another one on Monday to send off. It would be nice if this problem continues for them to go on ahead and start him on some antibiotics until we find out the problem. If his accidents become more frequent or if he starts to show signs of discomfort or pain, I will take him somewhere this weekend or have them call something in.

Culture and sensitivity screenings take 3-6 days, as some of the bacteria grow more quickly than others - so you'll start getting preliminary results within three days, and a finalized report in 6-7 days.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).