Almond Warning!

Guest SusanP

Spinner stole a giant bag (about 8 cups' worth) of raw almonds, and the hounds were having a field day of them when we came home. The e-vet said they can be dangerous in large amounts, and since we didn't know how much were eaten or who had eaten them, we just spent maybe 20 min out in the snow and ice and wind making 4 greyhounds vomit. :eek

Spinner was the guilty party. :angry:

I guess this means I can't use the rest of the almonds we picked up off the floor for our holiday candy-making now? :blush

Gee Spinner was the guilty party? I'm just shocked. Do the remaining nuts LOOK chewed? Okay well maybe not..... Spinner you are a project buddy. Glad it all came out okay.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

No, the nuts *look* fine. I'm going to put them in the freezer for our own personal use and buy new ones for the candy I make the kids' teachers. I just couldn't in good conscience give them ones dogs have mauled on the floor.

Could I?

Guest FullMetalFrank

Frank stole a whole tube of marzipan once, his only ill effect was paint peeling gas, but marzipan is about half sugar and it was an eight ounce pkg. so I don't think he got more than a half a cup of actual almonds.

Guest longdogs

I think the fear of toxicity is due to small amounts of cyanide. There is hardly any in edible almonds and it is highly unlikely your dog could eat enough to do harm. It does contribute to the distinctive almond scent. Bitter almonds are much more toxic, but then you wouldn't be eating them. Cyanide is also found in apple pips (pits) and other seeds and fruit stones but rarely in dangerous quantities.

9. What are bitter almonds?

Bitter almonds are not commercially grown in California and are primarily produced in Spain and Italy. Bitter almonds contain 3 to 5% amygdalin, a so-called cyanogenic glycoside composed of mandelic nitrile and gentobiose. Whole raw bitter almonds may be dangerous to eat since amygdalin may break down to generate hydrocyanide, as bitter kernels are being chewed or digested. California only produces sweet almonds, which do not contain amygdalin. Bitter almonds are not available through California almond suppliers.

I don't think you had bitter almonds :) They should have been ok.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

My Soldi eats quite often almonds (we have a tree in the garden) and she serves herself whenever she wants...

she never had a problem. I hope your hounds won't have any problems either...

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Rats, so I made these poor guys vomit for nothing? (Well, 3 of them hadn't really eaten much of any anyway...). Why would our vet have alarmed us so? Just to be safe, I suppose, since it was a giant bag and we really couldn't tell how much was eaten...

Rats, so I made these poor guys vomit for nothing? (Well, 3 of them hadn't really eaten much of any anyway...). Why would our vet have alarmed us so? Just to be safe, I suppose, since it was a giant bag and we really couldn't tell how much was eaten...

Bitter almonds are very dangerous for humans too...6 eaten bitter almonds kill a person, so I suppose a dog

too, but who will eat them...they taste awfully.

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.