Random Panting?

Guest ishapespace

Guest ishapespace

Does anyone else's greys ever pant for no apparent reason? Like, they are sleeping and wake up and start panting? I am just way too paranoid of a parent to even be concerned with something so stupid, but I'm curious....

Guest Winterwish

Oh that's not stupid at all. Altho' it could be something your grey just does,or it maybe that he or she is too warm and could use a little fan,I'd still mention it to the vet.

Wabi does that.

We've speculated all kinds of things: cuddling and too warm, stomach funnies, woke from a busy dream.... With her, it could be anything! She often licks (her bed, the couch, us) sort of obsessively before and during a panting session. Then they pass, and she goes back to sleep.

Hot flashes??? :P

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

You didn't say how old your dog is and what the temperature is when this happens, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to mention this to your vet. Panting can be a symptom of pain or a circulation problem. That doesn't mean that it is in your dog's case, of course, but it can be. :)

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest WarmheartedPups

Yes Yes....Ive worried about it for 8 months...since I got her.....but it just happens and then goes away....I am used to it now. I think she just gets hot while sleeping.

This used to scare me to death with my first two, but they never seemed distressed in any way when it happened, and I decided maybe the room had gotten warmer, as it was often in the evening when we all gathered together. Now, after 5 years, I don't see it as often in them for some reason. But if it worries you, a check-up wouldn't be out of line.

Guest ishapespace

Yeh, I was thinking the hot while sleeping thing and possibly the dream thing too. If he does it while we are nearby he also does like Xan said with the obsessive licking.... but we call him Berry White for a reason (lover boy) so the licking is all the time anyway.

When he did it last night, he was sleeping on the couch with Anna. We were in the office, which is a little warmer than the rest of the house, so maybe that was it. I'll just keep and eye on him. Anna has done it before too, but when she does it, it's usually in the middle of the night while in the bed with us, so she's probably just hot.

Thanks for the words of wisdom. We'll keep and eye on Berry and try to be more aware of when he does it - oh, he's 7 years 3 months (for Galgrey who asked his age) and we've had him, our first grey, since July 2006.