Good Bacteria In Grey's Stomachs

Neyla has been having some stomach issues over the last few months, potentially just due to her aging. I recently decided that I would start adding some yogurt or probiotics back into her diet to see if that helps, but hadn't done so yet. I happened to mention the problem to Dr. Radcliffe during our visit yesterday and his immediate response was to start feeding her Activia. He recommended Activia in particular b/c he said it contains the same bacteria that are in our greys' stomachs. So my question is, does anyone know offhand which bacteria those are (and I don't mean which ones are in Activia, I could look that up for myself :P ). I admit I'm being a bit lazy, but figure someone on here already happens to know enough about the dog digestive tract that they can just tell me. :blush

Thanks!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

No idea off the top of my head, but I've been meaning to ask about the Toe Saga. What's the latest?

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

"good bacteria"in the dog's gi tract include acidophilus, bacillus, bifidus, and rhamonus, among others.... hope that helps a bit!

Thanks!

Meredith - the update is Dr. Radcliffe was very frank about not being near considering amputation yet. I had forgotten how much I love that man. He is the ONLY one out of all of the people I've discussed this with - vets, friends, GTers, etc. - who mirrored my concerns about anesthetizing my senior greyhound w/a history of anesthesia issues. And he wasn't beating around the bush either. At the end of our discussion, I said it felt really great to have him on my team and his response was, "Not your team, Neyla's team". Isn't that the truth, and isn't that what we should all hope for in our vet?

Anyway, xrays have to go off to Dr. Canapp. I didn't have the foresight to take the originals with me, so Dr. Radcliffe wasn't able to look at the progression. But he definitely saw both the bone deterioration and the bone spur that Dr. Canapp did. So Dr. C will have a look and then they'll chat and we'll see where we're at. If the deterioration has progressed significantly since the first x-rays, then I guess we talk more seriously about our options. In the meantime, I have the full go ahead to keep Neyla doped up on Tramadol so she can resume normal walks. I asked him about long term side effects - he said if she starts robbing convenience stores to supply herself with Tramadol, I worry. :P

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

:lol I love Dr. R :) Yeah, tramadol really doesn't have long term side effects - it's not like rimadyl and it's not hard on the liver.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire