Beet Pulp,, Poo Related, Yep Another One!

Ok, here it goes, my first thread about poo,, and how to deal with the Big D!

i posted this in the food forum,, sorry if you read it twice! :blush

I have heard (read) about many of you who add beet pulp to their doggies food to help keep the poop firm. My old boy, 13 1/2 yrs young had a bout of bloody diarrhea several months ago. Was on IV fluids for the weekend in the pet ER and recovered well. He has had several rounds of bad runny poo, about once a month. We have had all the tests and nothing shows up, and he goes on Metrodizonal, and a couple days of bland chicken/rice diet and all is well.........

I decided to find beet pulp after reading about others here who have had good luck regulating stool consistency with it..... I found it, in Pellet form. really hard stuff. My DH actually tried to chew it (ended up spitting in out :yuck ) but actually he was able to chew it.

My question is,,, how much should I add to the food??? I took several pellets,, crushed them up and sprinkled them onto the food. I suppose it was about 1 table spoon. Is that enough,,,??? is that tooo much????

seems like we all are just a little obsessed about the consistency of our dogs Poo!

i know i'm in good company! :rolleyes:

Thanks!!!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest hazelhedge

I don't know about the separate beet pulp, but a GPA volunteer told me about Iams dry food with beet pulp in it. Harry ate the Chicken and Rice version for a long time and it really firmed up his poop. Now he's on a similar food but it doesn't have the preservatives. Poop is still fine. Good luck.

Vicki

Many brands of food already have beet pulp in it; our foster and Tito (recently identified as a baby sasquatch, as it turns out) both get fed Kirkland's brand. Without amendment, Tito's is fine (a little loose and bulky, but otherwise acceptable), but Dash's is pure pudding.

Not. Acceptable.

So what I do is I have a pair of EMT shears- the kind that cut through pennies. I take about 2 tablespoons of beet pulp pellets, and chunk them into nuggets about the same size as the kibble he is fed. Now, he's a big boy- 89 pounds, without a lot of fat on his bones- so you can probably scale that back a bit.

Similarly, if you have already done all the damage you can to your hearing (70's rock concerts, shooting, loud spouses, etc.), feel free to throw a cup or two into the blender and set it for something obscure like "ice crush," and then add about half of what I recommended above (i.e., about a tablespoon for a big dog).

I personally have been surprised by its efficacy and low expense. Very effective.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Check farm and garden stores. Locally it runs $10 per 50 pound bag as nuggets. If you know any horse people, ask them- it's much more in demand for that portion of the population.

If you absolutely can't find any at all, PM me and I can send you a sample-sized box for the cost of shipping. :)

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest karma98104

You can get it at a lot of feed stores but you have to buy it in bulk. I've never used it but I've heard nothing but good things about it. For a while I had my kids on Eagle Pack food that has beet pulp, and 2 out of 3 really firmed up!

Poop-date,,,, sorry :P

Day 2 of beet Pulp being added to seriously bad diarrhea boy, who has several bouts every month...... Poo getting firmer. Other 2 Guinea pigs (house mate greyhounds) Poo is also looking mighty firm! :pepper can improvement really happen this quickly???

I ended up cutting the pellets with a kitchen scissor, just pounding with a hammer was really hurting my brain. Then i just put the smaller size pellets into the kibble..... Even my VERY picky old lady ate the pellets right along with the kibble. I do add a small amount of water to the kibble, just enough to wet their whistle,,

anyway,, I purchased the beet pulp pellets at my local country store.. they ended up giving me some from an already opened bag, I think they felt sorry for me cause i was asking soo many questions. the 50lb bag was under $10..this bag will easily last several greyhounds lifetime,, so go in with your adoption group and spread it around...

EVERYONE SHOULD ENJOY FIRM POOP!!!! :pepper:hehe:rofl :rofl :bounce8:cheers:headbang:gmark:yikes

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Day 2 of beet Pulp being added to seriously bad diarrhea boy, who has several bouts every month...... Poo getting firmer. Other 2 Guinea pigs (house mate greyhounds) Poo is also looking mighty firm! :pepper can improvement really happen this quickly???

It should be concurrent with feeding, plus the lag for it to progress through digestion. So, within 24 hours, provided enough is given with the regular feed, it should be apparent.

The mechanism is relatively straightforward: it's dry bulk, and it absorbs water as it passes through the gut. If the stool is adequately de-watered, it is firmer.

It really is remarkable how a little beet pulp can make things so much better.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)