Mupirocin Ointment

Guest suzye

Jazz has nasty stores between her toes from the pronlonged bandaging for her broken toe. I didn't know how bad it was until today, so I brought her in. They said to leave the bandage off and sent us home with some very expensive Mupirocin antibiotic ointment. I should have asked for drug info right off the bat, but it's just an antibiotic -- I didn't think it would be a big deal. I guess I never learn. I just opened the package and it says "Polyethylene glycol can be absorbed from open wounds and damaged skin and is EXCRETED BY THE KIDNEYS. In common with other polyethylene glycol-based ointments, Mupirocin Ointment USP, 2% should not be used in conditions where absoprtion of large quantities of polyethylene glycol is possible, ESPECIALLY IF THERE IS EVIDENCE OF MODERATE OR SEVERE RENAL IMPAIRMENT."

OK, I have just about lost all faith in this hospital. I don't think putting this between her toes constitutes a large amount, but they are open sores for sure. I'm afraid to give her any (they already gave her some at the hospital). Should I return it and ask for me money back ($56!!) and let her sores heal naturally? We're using a sock on her paw when I can't watch oher directly or she starts to show too much interest in licking it. The sores are gross, but the vet said she didn't think they were "very" infected. I just don't know if it's safe to use this.

More info on Jazz's condition can be found in this thread.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=182373

On the plus side, the vet said a callous is forming on the toe and believes most of her discomfort is coming from the sores, not the fracture.

Edited by suzye

I don't know anything about Mupiricin and kidney problems, but I have been using it on Bodie for his skin problems - between his toes and on his rear end - for the last month and it has not caused him any problems. It has helped him somewhat, but everything only seems to help him somewhat.

However, the cost seems high, unless they gave you an extra large tube. The tube I got is 2% mupiricin 22gm, which is a tube about 4 inches long. It cost me $29.45.

I don't know anything about Mupiricin and kidney problems, but I have been using it on Bodie for his skin problems - between his toes and on his rear end - for the last month and it has not caused him any problems. It has helped him somewhat, but everything only seems to help him somewhat.

However, the cost seems high, unless they gave you an extra large tube. The tube I got is 2% mupiricin 22gm, which is a tube about 4 inches long. It cost me $29.45.

Everything at my vet is a rip-off. I'm going to return the tube tomorrow and ask for my money back (I didn't open it). It's the same size as yours. Thanks for the reply. I just don't know if her sores are bad enough not to leave alone. I'll be calling the new vet tomorrow to see when I can get in. Maybe they can tell me if this stuff is really needed, not a risk, and will sell it cheaper.

I thought I'd post a final update on this topic in case anyone else searches on this in the future. We went to the new vet today and he agreed with me that it wasn't worth the risk to use that ointment on her. He didn't know about that kidney risk, so I guess I can't really hold it against the previous vet. This just shows that it's YOUR responsibility to read about the drug. Anyway, he sent us home with Animax cream aka NNT. It seems less risky. And it was less than half the price!

I'm just seeing this now and wanted to say, kudos to you for making such a good catch on your hound's behalf! Med interactions and contraindications can be so easily missed that it is wise to be extra vigilant if you have a dog with chronic health issues. Even good vets can't know everything so thank goodness for careful, observant hound "parents".

It really sounds as if your confidence in vet #1 is shot so it's a great move to find a new vet with whom you can work with confidence. Hope Jazz's poor toe will be healing quickly now.

Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Thanks Lucy. The sores are getting better and Jazz doesn't even bother her foot. I think this problem is definitely on the mend. I am definitely going to keep her on a leash every time she goes in the backyard for another month, though. I can't have her chase a bunny and send us back to start!

Now if we can just take care of those kidneys....