Cancer And Corns In Greys

Cancer is more common in large breed dogs, so NGA and AKC would likely have similar instances of cancer.

Before really hearing a complete history on Ryan, his neurologist was already pretty much set on him having cancer... because of his age and his breed. She didn't know if he was AKC or NGA at that point.

AKC dogs have less cancer but are more likely to bloat (according to Dr. Couto). I honestly don't know if AKC dogs get corns, but I'm sure the potential is there.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

AKC dogs have less cancer but are more likely to bloat (according to Dr. Couto). I honestly don't know if AKC dogs get corns, but I'm sure the potential is there.

We see less osteosarcoma in AKC Greyhounds... not sure about other types of cancer. Also don't seem to get the corns in AKC Greyhounds.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Hey Dr. Bill - I know that greys in general get osteo more than other dogs, but are they also at higher risk for other cancers such as hemangiosarcoma?

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Hey Dr. Bill - I know that greys in general get osteo more than other dogs, but are they also at higher risk for other cancers such as hemangiosarcoma?

I haven't seen all the research... so this is only on clinical experience but I would say that they don't appear to have a higher risk of other types of cancer vs. other larger breed dogs. We see more hemangiosarcoma in Goldens than other breeds (of course we also see a LOT of goldens).

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest Tenderhearts
We see more hemangiosarcoma in Goldens than other breeds (of course we also see a LOT of goldens).

My good friend in Missouri lost her 8 year old Golden to hemangio about a year and a half ago. She was devastated, and said there's a reason it's called the silent killer. She also has several friends who have lost Goldens to hemangio :(