Mr. Skorch Can't Stand On His Back Leg

Mr. Skorch was limping last night but by the time he was finished going potty, he seemed better. This morning he can't stand on his back right leg at all. Upon examination it appears that he has torn a toenail and it is hanging and bleeding. If I touch it he crys.

Thankfully, the vet can see us at 8:20. It's quarter to 8 now and the vet is 7 minutes away.

I feel guilty. I let him run in the radar run on Saturday at the GPA event. He wanted to sooo bad. He clocked at 37 and didn't run to the squawker. He ran to his mom....It could have happened then, but he didn't limp until last night.....

I'll never let him run again.

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

Oh poor baby. Hug him for me. He will be fine I just know it. Sending hugs to both of you. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest KennelMom

Poor guy :( Caesar broke/lost a toenail once...the vet gave him a local and just removed it the rest of the way. Not a huge deal.

I'll never let him run again.

I think that's a little extreme. I can't imagine how sad our dogs would be if we never let them run. It's part of their greyhound spirit. My best advice: Keep those nails short if they like to run.

Mr. Skorch is sporting a bright yellow bandage. The vet removed the nail and cut his nails as short as he could. I've only had Mr. Skorch since June and he came with long nails -- some of them looking strange -- he was also missing nails.

The vet told me that some dogs are missing fatty acids in their system and this causes nails to fall off. And, when they grow back they look different -- Mr. Skorch has one nail that is long and skinny with ridges on it....(I've posted about it before.)

So, I bought a fatty acid supplement to see if there is a difference....

My poor boy was so good. He never flinched. The vet was the doctor that the adoption center from Geneva Lakes used. He told me he misses the greyhounds a lot because they were so easy to work with....

The vet wasn't sure that my boy's 37 mile per hour run was the problem. He could have caught it on something. I'll probably never know, but at least he's okay......Also, my DH was home with the girls while I took Mr. Skorch to the vet. He said the the girls were inconsolable. June especially, she cried and cried until he came home.

From Wisconsin -- It's Nancy, Bob, Carla, June Bug and our newby Skorch.... along with Buffy. She's the little hound that meows.

With loving memorials to K.C., Barko and Major Turn -- all playing at the bridge.

Poor Mr. Skorch! Tell him to rest his footsie and feel better soon!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

So, I bought a fatty acid supplement to see if there is a difference....

I'm giving Pablo 5 fish oil caps a day and I could do 8 (1 per 10# of body weight)

Also, my DH was home with the girls while I took Mr. Skorch to the vet. He said the the girls were inconsolable. June especially, she cried and cried until he came home.

How sweet! They got close quick, didn't they? :wub:

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Did the vet say anything about him having SLO? It just seems that is what he was implying with all of the missing fatty acid and missing/strange looking toenail comments. Of course, even if it is, fatty acids and keeping them short will help greatly. Hope Mr. Skorch is feeling better soon!!

Did the vet say anything about him having SLO? It just seems that is what he was implying with all of the missing fatty acid and missing/strange looking toenail comments. Of course, even if it is, fatty acids and keeping them short will help greatly. Hope Mr. Skorch is feeling better soon!!

He didn't say anything about SLO. He just mentioned the possibility of him possibly needing fatty acids.... What is SLO?

blue broke a toenail on his right rear leg a couple weeks ago while running zoomies in the pasture, hit a rock or something i guess. he came back to the gate when we left and i noticed some blood and the broken toenail. he started limping as we walked home and gave me the gsod when he jumped up on the bed & would not let me touch it & wasn't too happy about me spraying it with antiseptic. light duty for a couple days, then he limped into the field with me & millie and he decided to go for a run again and ran zoomies for about 10 minutes. he came running back to me as i & millie headed to the gate, went into a walk and about 10 ft away remembered he was supposed to limp, so he did. the toenail remnant was bleeding again. it finally fell off completely after a few days leaving a little pink stub. he now is short one toenail till it grows out. it'll take a lot more than a broken toenail to stop him from running.

Edited by kronckew

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

SLO = symmetrical lupoid onychodystrophy

There is a ton of info on this; here is just the first one (web address below) I found when I typed it into google. A biopsy is NOT necessary for dx. Any vet that is very familiar with the disease or a dermatologist can dx by seeing the dog's feet/toenails. It is a chronic but very manageable disease where the toenails repeatedly crack, break, fall off, etc. It can be very painful for the dog without some sort of treatment to help encourage healthy toenail growth and still they have flare-ups occasionally.

http://www.bloodaxe.com/SLO.html

SLO = symmetrical lupoid onychodystrophy

There is a ton of info on this; here is just the first one (web address below) I found when I typed it into google. A biopsy is NOT necessary for dx. Any vet that is very familiar with the disease or a dermatologist can dx by seeing the dog's feet/toenails. It is a chronic but very manageable disease where the toenails repeatedly crack, break, fall off, etc. It can be very painful for the dog without some sort of treatment to help encourage healthy toenail growth and still they have flare-ups occasionally.

http://www.bloodaxe.com/SLO.html

Thanks, Cyndi, for the information. The vet didn't mention SLO by name; just mentioned the possible need for fatty acids and a watch....

I see on the web site that they have a forum for this condition. I'll check it out. SLO also seems to be treatable....So, thanks again.