Ernest - My Foster

Guest Gangstersmom

Guest sunshine123

Hi,

Ernest my foster, the one that is recovering from a broken leg. He has been at my house for 1 - week. He has Diarrhea. I have fed him pumpkin and rice along with his kibble, but he still has the runs. Any suggestions? Ernest is a good boy and will eat anything, he has a very healthy appetite.

Thank you

Gangster's Mom

Guest KennelMom

I'd give him boiled chicken and rice (or noodles) instead of kibble for few days to see if that helps. Also let your adoption group know. If he has Big D, he could get dehydrated so you want to keep an eye on that. He may also need something like flagyl to calm things down...but you'd have to get that from your vet.

Guest Hollys2hounds

I would do no food for 1 day-- let tummy relax, and then introduce food slowly like KennelMom said either chicken and rice or noodles.

Keep an eye on his hydration, though. He may need some Pedialyte, or chicken broth if he is not drinking enough.

I make chicken or boiled chopped meat + rice very liquidy with water or broth.

I would pass on the pumpkin. I have never had much success with it.

Good Luck!

Guest sunshine123
I'd give him boiled chicken and rice (or noodles) instead of kibble for few days to see if that helps. Also let your adoption group know. If he has Big D, he could get dehydrated so you want to keep an eye on that. He may also need something like flagyl to calm things down...but you'd have to get that from your vet.

Thank you, I am off from work tomorrow. I will boil him up some chicken. I have already told the adoption group. Just got a email that suggested the same thing. Thank you again. I am slowly falling in love with this guy.....

If there's no underlying medical cause and he doesn't do well on a given kibble, try another brand. Failing that, try beet pulp. I've had success with our foster by adding 1-2 tablespoons of crushed beet pulp nuggets with each meal. Several others have reported similar results.

Some brands of kibble already contain beet pulp; adding a bit more seems to push a given brand into the realm of "sighthound acceptability." Presumably it works by sponging up excess water in the stool, allowing it to form in a more... stool-like fashion.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest sunshine123

Ernest's leg is healing great!!! Major infection - Gone!!! Just some open wounds that still need to be covered. No more leg surgery either :confetti:confetti:confetti .

Tomorrow he is getting neutered. I am already excited about picking him up!!!!

My DH is taking him to the Vet in the morning on his way to work, and he didn't even fuss about it!!!!!

This guy is just the sweetest!! I can't wait to be able to take him for a walk!!!

PS ~ finally got rid of the runs. Hope he still doesn't want me to cook for him......

Edited by sunshine123

Guest Baloos_Mom
Ernest's leg is healing great!!! Major infection - Gone!!! Just some open wounds that still need to be covered. No more leg surgery either :confetti:confetti:confetti .

Tomorrow he is getting neutered. I am already excited about picking him up!!!!

My DH is taking him to the Vet in the morning on his way to work, and he didn't even fuss about it!!!!!

This guy is just the sweetest!! I can't wait to be able to take him for a walk!!!

PS ~ finally got rid of the runs. Hope he still doesn't want me to cook for him......

Hmmm, falling in love with him, huh??? :P Did you POST PIX??? Give the Gangster a kiss for me!

Ernest, once you get over the bit of today's surgery, you're on the road to a life of leisure! (Not to call your bits a bit, of course--no insult intended)

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota