Diarrhea, Sort Of, And Threw Up Breakfast....

Guest snakes

Hello,

So my little grey girl has been having very soft poops since the middle of the day thursday. I figured that maybe a chunk of blue cheese she got (Smaller piece) didn't agree with her.

However it has continued and the last couple nights she has pooped in the living room (very unusual for her). During the day she seems fine, but will suddenly get up and need to go out to poop.

At night she has been restless, but not during the day.

Then this morning she puked up her breakfast about 20minutes after eating it, ate it back up, then i took her out and she threw it up again on our walk, then ate it back up. It hasn't come back up since (been an hour now).

Now a few things have happened recently with her:

she ate some bra straps about a week and a half ago that i haven't seen emerge yet.

She started glycoflex soft chews a couple days ago.

Otherwise she is happy as can be, sleeps fine during the day, walking fine, no tenderness when i press on her belly, no bloating, no blood in poop.

Now she just got up like she was going to throw up and didn't but walked around 'huffing'....

think a call to the vet may be in order before they close at 12!

If she's eaten something like bra straps and hasn't passed them I'd get her to the vet. They could be tangled inside her and unable to come out. Is she drinking water? You have to watch because greyhounds dehydrate very quickly. If she's not drinking and can't keep anything down I'd get her to the vet, especially since she's had the runny pooh since Thursday.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

If she's eaten something like bra straps and hasn't passed them I'd get her to the vet. They could be tangled inside her and unable to come out. Is she drinking water? You have to watch because greyhounds dehydrate very quickly. If she's not drinking and can't keep anything down I'd get her to the vet, especially since she's had the runny pooh since Thursday.

forgot to add, yes she is drinking water, normal amounts for her. She has now kept her breakfast down and this morning was the first incident of her throwing anything up. She has had a normal appetite.

ETA: just realized my vet is closed today...halloween in Salem....but there are other vets nearby that are opena dn good with greyhounds, plus the evet if necessary.

Edited by snakes

ok, well all regular vets are either closed or swamped with emergencies and down a vet (busy time of year i guess).

So we are off to the evet, better safe than sorry...just glad i have the insurance that will cover some of it!

I'll update later.

not sure if anyone is still reading, but we went to the evet. Xray showed the bra strap still there, moving its way down but not blocking. She had some fragments in her stomach but we think these were from teh chicken quarters she gets for dinner. Possibly could be gallstones though.

So they did a rectal exam and actually felt the bra strap and were able to remove it...yipee on that one...

she got fluids (she is normally a little dehydrated) and is now all jiggly :)

She is on a bland diet after fasting for at least 8 hours of boiled chicken (no bones of course) or beef with rice for the next few days.

Then its off to my vet for a followup xray to see what is going on. By that time we will have heard about the radiologist looking at the xray for a more definitive thought on the gallstone vs stomach contents issue....

So all good so far....

That's certainly better news and I hope she continues to improve.

On a lighter note, will you be burning all those evil bras of yours? :P

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

no burning bras yet, however it does make me a lot better about putting laundry away IMMEDIATLY. Amazing what these hounds can do in 5 minutes left alone...

She's just tired today but so far so good.