Is This A Seizure?

Guest longdogs

Guest longdogs

William has never fully recovered from his last illness, never really diagnosed but treated as an autoimmune problem. He's OK most of the time although his energy levels are down and there are days when he really doesn't want to walk. Sometimes this is due to arthritic pain and a course of Meloxicam or Rimadyl is needed to fix it. Sometimes there seems to be no obvious cause. His appetite is generally good.

I've occasionally found him lying quietly with his heart fibrillating visibly and generating odd visible pulses, especially above his shoulders. Early this morning he was doing something similar but much more pronounced. He was conscious and responsive to a degree, sometimes raising his head a little, but his heart was wild and erratic. This time the muscles in the front half of his body were twitching, but not in his neck and face. I would describe it as strong twitching rather than convulsions. He was lying on his side and didn't change position until several minutes after it passed. It was several minutes more before he wanted to stand, then was slow but seemed OK. He didn't want to join the morning walk but came to greet us on our return, took a leak in the garden and tucked in to his breakfast. He wanted a gentle walk this evening.

My suspicion is that I am missing some of these quiet episodes but noticing the after-effects. Some of these symptoms, incuding the fibrillation, are not unlike those he was showing during his illness. I also suspected at the time we found him completely out of it - also early in the morning - with his eyes glazed and his heart fibrillating and unable to breath properly, that he might have had a more significant seizure. We very nearly lost him that day. His treatment was Macrolone (corticosteroid) and he certainly improved as a result. I'm not sure whether he needs to go back on them (I've put him back on 20mg) or whether he needs something specifically for seizures - if that's his problem. I suppose it depends what the root cause is. Anyway, I really need some feedback from those with more experience.

Guest greybookends

Seizures come in many sizes and shapes, from minor to grand mals. It does sound like it is a seizure. I would discuss it with the vet. I hope your William feels better soon.

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

I have been boarding an adopters dog that had seizures that their vet was not treating & while we we in our vets she started to weave, like when you get up too fast & are a little dizzy, the vet said this is a type of seizure usually related to a heart problem. They ran several tests on Skye & it isn't her heart, she is now on phenobarb but still has small seizures at night sometimes so is going back to be checked again. Good luck with William.

I'm no expert, but I would suspect it's seizures as well.

I'm so sorry to hear this is happening to William---please give him a hug for me!!!

ETA: Have you taken him to see Allistair Smith at Sandown or Charles Kuntz at SARC? They were the ones who saved Mokkah.

Edited by JerseyGirlInOz

gallery_11362_3294_17365.png
"Hurricane Sandi" (Baurna to Run).

Forever missing my "Angel-With-A Crooked-Halo" Hailey, and "Mokkah" (Xpress Point) with all my heart.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ~~Will Rogers

Has he been seen by a cardiologist?

Are there tick diseases in Australia? Seizures are one of the many possible symptoms of tick disease. link to tick diseases

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest longdogs

I'm sure it's not a tick-borne disease, it's most likely related to his mysterious autoimmune condition. I'm not going to worry too much right now. He's fine and lively today and I think is benefiting from the macrolone. I'll keep a close eye on him and discuss it with his vet when I next call in.

BB4.jpg