Doe Anyone Know What This Is?

RobinM

I just noticed this on Beau. He could not have had this long at all. I put some triple antibiotic on it. He doesn't appear to know it's there. I have a appointment tomorrow with vet.

But of course I do, if I'm not there once a week ,they'd worry about me. Sheesh.

Any clue as to what it is? The hair is gone on the spot, it has some raised areas, almost scab like and the rest is raw.

DSC_0043.jpg

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Does he scratch at it? Could he have got poked by something - a branch perhaps?? Let us know how it turns out. Mimi

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

DH says it looks like a scrape too, but with all I see and read on H&M, I get paranoid so in he goes. Will try to take pictures with the nikon in a bit to get a much clearer picture.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Coach here...

Looks to me what we call a "hot spot". Can you tell me if it was scabby at all? Was there any discharge? Yellowish... even a little bit? If this is the case, then it isn't anything serious in the least. All you have to do is remove all the affected skin... just pull it and it should come right off as it's dead skin. If when you pull at it and it doesn't come off, then that is still viable skin. Pour some hydrogen peroxide on the wound, or due to the spot it's on, soak a towel and dab it on the area. It's ok to not wipe it.. let the H2O2 do it's job. Once it's dried, apply more triple to it... it'll be cleaned up in no time :)

Edited by wmlcml6

Yup, judging by the more clear pic and seeing the edges and the pink middle... I'd definitely say it's a hotspot. I've had numerous discussions with other trainers, vets, handlers and nobody really has a concrete answer as to why certain dogs develop them while other dogs never ever have this issue. Ideas range from parasites (fleas and ticks), lacking something dietary, heat... a whole range of things; but, there's never any clear answer.

Don't be too freaked, while they are icky (I hate cleaning them up myself), just clean it up as I mentioned in the previous post and it'll clear up. In the dogs we've just recently had come down with them, the hair eventually grew back in the spot. Keep an eye out for more on him, however and treat them as soon as you notice them as I described :)

Good luck to you and Beau :D

Could be a hotspot, could be just a nasty scrape. Maybe the latter if he is leaving it well alone. Hope it heals right up. They are always getting -- or getting into -- something, aren't they?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest taylorsmom

Yup, I was thinking hotspot too. My Lab Lucy had a nasty one a few months ago. You may not have to do this with Beau because he is not too furry like a Lab is, but the vet shaved the fur off it to help it dry up and heal. If it is a hotspot, it will look a whole lot worse before it gets better, it can even get green and pus-filled. We used a spray called Granulex, you can get it online, it healed it right up and is great to use on greyhounds for open wounds on their thin skin that won't heal.

If it is a hotspot, it could be from anything that made him scratch intensely, from a bug bite to allergies. It is also pretty harmless--but nasty-looking. Doesn't seem to bother the dogs at all! Lucy's was right on top of her head, so I had to look at the yucky thing every time I looked down at her!

They are always getting -- or getting into -- something, aren't they?

YA THINK???!

If it's not one, it's the other and Polli all of a sudden is limping so badly, she's basically lame in her left front.

We have an appointment tomorrow.

Unreal.