Blowing Coat Or Seasonal Fur Loss?

Guest greyfiend

Guest greyfiend

Hi All. Filbert will soon be 6 years old. He quit racing at age 4 and lived on a "Greyhound Farm" for just over one year. He went into foster care for about 9 weeks and we've had him almost 3 months. He is fawn (strawberry blonde) and I brush him daily. The very first day we had him I brushed a lot of fur out, but I chalked that up to not having been groomed much (he desperately needed a bath, ears cleaned, claws done, etc.). Usually there isn't much fur in the rubber glove I use, but for the past several days I've noticed quite a bit more. His thyroid is normal for a Greyhound and he gets B12 shots weekly for awhile (we're on week 3 of this regime). The fur that was initially gone from his thighs has grown back nicely and his tummy has fine "peach fuzz" on it. He is not getting bald anywhere. He eats a high quality holistic food and has a great appetite!

I always thought that dogs shed big time when the weather got hot. I've heard of dogs blowing their "track coat", but he hasn't been racing for more than a year. Maybe on a "farm" they are outside more and get a heavier coat that he is shedding. Or maybe it's due to settling in. It just seems odd that it's happening as it gets colder here (western Oregon).

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

My Polli lived on a farm her whole life and I got her a month ago at the age of 8.5. One of the first things I was told was she will lose her farm coat. It's denser and coarser than normal GH coat. She is starting to sofen up a bit but has a ways to go. Unless your dog is showing bald spots, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

This is the normal fall shedding. Mine shed out twice a year.. Fall and Spring.

Unless the fur is dropping in big handfuls and there are random bald patches everywhere, I wouldn't be too concerned :)

Robin and I posted simultaneously :lol

Edited by Jiffer

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

This is the normal fall shedding. Mine shed out twice a year.. Fall and Spring.

Unless the fur is dropping in big handfuls and there are random bald patches everywhere, I wouldn't be too concerned :)

Robin and I posted simultaneously :lol

GREYT minds and all that! :eek

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest PNWtrillium

Hi, GreyFiend --

Seasonal Fur Loss = Blowing Coat. Different terms for the same thing. At this time of the year they're getting rid of their Summer coast and growing in their Winter coat.

I live an hour or so south of you and Selena started her Fall coat change a week or so ago.

Congrats on your Filbert. Great Oregon name!!!