What Is This Backward Sneezing Caused By?

Guest FrostyBottoms

Guest FrostyBottoms

Vinny has had about 4 of these episodes within 2 months...what is it caused by?

Please excuse my messy laundry room!

%5b/URL%5d" target="_blank">vinny

Edited by FrostyBottoms

Can be caused by a bunch of stuff - small particulates irritating the throat, kibble dust, etc.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest FrostyBottoms

For some reason, I can't link the video...hmmm...but would it last for that long? Also, Frosty has never done that, and we have had her for 8 months.

vinny

Maybe this will work...

It works! Click on Vinny above

Edited by FrostyBottoms

Miles does it often. If we're around we rub his throat and it'll go away faster.

We think he sometimes does it when he wants attention because he knows he'll get some throat scritchies!

Guest ilovegreys

My little dogs do this a lot, and the vet says it's very common for small dogs. I rub their throat in an upwards motion, and it helps a lot.

What a gorgeous guy Vinny is!

Guest FrostyBottoms
That is exactly what my Sally does! She has done it very frequently since we've had her (3 yrs). Never was able to get the episode on video.

:gh_lay

Do you think it is an allergy thing? Someone told me try Benadryl, but I have not yet.

Guest rsqdogsmom

Not to scare you but, one of my Dobes had this 3 years ago.

Sometimes it is not so benign.

It was the first symptom of nasal cancer. :blink::eek

If any blood shows up, take your baby to the vet asap!

Guest FrostyBottoms
Probably harmless, but I had a greyhound that did this and had Capillaria: http://www.greyhoundog.org/Medical.html

If I remember correctly, it was easy to treat.

This is exactly what my friend's greyhound has right now and has been treated for worms for months now...Is it contagious? Vinny was around Chaser at a M&G for a couple hours a while back....but would he be doing it more often than every other week?

Not to scare you but, one of my Dobes had this 3 years ago.

Sometimes it is not so benign.

It was the first symptom of nasal cancer. :blink::eek

If any blood shows up, take your baby to the vet asap!

Yikes...I'm going to pray it isn't that!

It's been a few years since I dealt with it so I don't remember all the details. But the vet found it in a sample, probably fecal, but it could have been urine, don't remember. The vet asked me if the dog snorted or reverse sneezed and I said "yes, don't they all?" I don't remember how often my dog did it because it didn't concern me much.

I'm guessing that since Capillaria is a worm and in stool, then yes, it is probably contagious.

Sounds pretty likely that your dog has it. If it is his turn to have something, this is a good one. Easy to treat. Easy to clear.

Guest jettcricket

Cricket does it too, mostly after eating. I'm not overly concerned about it....she does tend to be a fast eater. She's done it for a while....I would think if it was something more serious, she'd be having other symptoms by now and she doesn't do it all the time.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Sadie woke me from a sound sleep a couple of weeks ago having a reverse sneezing fit. I thought she was seizing or dying or at the very least trying to give me a heart attack :rolleyes:

She was fine afterwards, went outside and pottied, and came back in for a cookie :P Luckily for me Gter Boomooanddoo explained to me what it was :lol

Guest FrostyBottoms

Well, the vet called back, said Capillaria is very uncommon and would be surprised if Vinny had it...he said the reverse sneezing is common for no reason or for allergies and said I could give him some benadryl, if that doesn't work I can bring in a stool sample. Since Vinny was only exposed to Chaser at a M&G it isn't likely he caught anything from her. He wasn't around her poop at all. So I feel better, but I will keep my eye on the poor boy!

Probably just dust up his nose. Parents' whippet is apt to do it when the weather is dry or when he's been outside poking around in the long grass.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest tobinhr
Probably just dust up his nose. Parents' whippet is apt to do it when the weather is dry or when he's been outside poking around in the long grass.

ITA. Mac does is on walks after he has been sniffing in the grasses along side the (unmowed part) street. It alarms anyone near him, but he never seems to suffer from it. He just stops, gives a regular sneeze and moves on.

Jan

Mac, the wonder dog

Ivy and Soldi do that 'reverse sneezing' every now and then...no reason to worry about.

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Guest TBSFlame

Beecher has had this problem for years. He is 11 1/2 years old. I rub his throat. He had a spell last night. If it goes on too long I do worry as it looks so uncomfortable.