Eating Grass

RobinM

Polli seems to have something going on with her tummy. It's making these incredibly loud noises and she has not really eaten in 1.5 days. We gave her a pepto a couple of hours ago.

She was eating grass a little while ago. Ours was just cut so there is not a lot to eat.

Do they eat grass when their stomachs are off to make them feel better? To make themselve throw up? (She has nothing to throw up) Because it tastes good?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Yes they do eat grass if their tummy is upset. You might want to give her boiled hamburger & rice tomorrow to help her get back on track and then start adding kibble. I would probably offer her a slice of bread in the morning to help give her something in her tummy until you can offer her something else. If she didn't eat today, it's probably because her stomach was upset (smart girl). Go easy on the quantity of that first meal. If she still doesn't feel good by tomorrow, I would check with my vet.

I read in your other post in EEG that you have been trying lots of foods, etc. Changing foods frequently can be hard on their tummys and cause certainly cause the "big D" pretty quickly. Maybe this latest food doesn't agree with her? My first question about not wanting a type of food is HOW you are feeding it. Do you add water? Greyhounds are used to a wet diet at the farm.

Bottom line for me is alway two days upset...check with the vet.

Edited by Chicocat

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

For the most part....they eat grass cuz they like it. :P To say they eat grass when they are feeling sick is a bit of a myth. It may be true but the fact is MANY dogs just love to eat grass. Koda is a 'grazer'....she nibbles on grass every time she is outside and it is most certainly not because she is feeling sick. In your case....if this is not a 'normal' behaviour then it may be something to note for sure. But if she nibbles at grass once in a while normally then I wouldn't be concerned about her eating it now.

As for her not eating for 1.5 days...this is a concern. Is she drinking? Does she have diarrhea? Vomitting? Does she seem to be in any discomfort or pain? (panting...yelping....uncomfortable....) I would take her temperature and also pinch her skin to see how hydrated she is. Does she show any interest in ANY food? Like her favourite treats such as cheese maybe? If she doesn't than I would be even more concerned. Is it possible she has something going on with her teeth? Or maybe she has gotten into something? If any of the above are positive I would think a vet visit would be a good idea.

Sorry about all of the questions.....I hope she is feeling better soon.

I should add....her loud tummy sounds may just be due to her not eating for so long. If she is showing signs of interest in some food it may be a good idea to ease her back into it with rice/boiled chicken until things are back to normal (as Chicocat mentioned).

To say they eat grass when they are feeling sick is a bit of a myth

Not true. Many dogs eat grass when their stomach is upset. What it is about the grass is a mystery (at least to me).

Many dogs do like grass and Pitcairn says to grow them a pot of wheat grass so they can graze. I had more grazing with the Dobes than the greys.

It's making these incredibly loud noises and she has not really eaten in 1.5 days

Is this the girl just off the farm? In addition to giving her pepcid, tagamet or zantac, I'd give her acidolphillus pills and also use Prozyme in her food. She may not be tranistioning well. Try boiled chicken or hamburger and see if her gut calms down.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Robin, I agree with Chicocat and Burpdog about the boiled hamburger and rice. Alan has had many bouts of tummy upsets, he eats grass in the park very often, tummy is rumbling very often as well. Try the acidophillus pills. And her tummy will be upset with all the food changing. Hang in there, I know it's frustrating!!

Guest taylorsmom
It's making these incredibly loud noises and she has not really eaten in 1.5 days

Is this the girl just off the farm? In addition to giving her pepcid, tagamet or zantac, I'd give her acidolphillus pills and also use Prozyme in her food. She may not be tranistioning well. Try boiled chicken or hamburger and see if her gut calms down.

I agree with adding all these as well. Rita had an unbelievably loud stomach, especially at night (It woke me up many times, thinking it was my cats fighting!!). We added a probiotic powder, and it improved somewhat though not completely. Then we got a fecal done and sure enough, she had hookworms. I would imagine Polli was wormed before she left Lisa's, but sometimes they can pick them up again sooooo easily! Have you had her poop tested recently?

By the way, since we had the hookworm treated, her tummy has been completely silent!!

I think they eat it for various reasons. I never saw Polli eat grass before the tummy upset, yet Chloe and Teddy (my chow hounds) like to pick at long grass when they see it.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest dauphinelaura

After the first couple weeks of having Oni her stomach was going crazy! Loud noises all night long. Then she went outside, ate a bunch of grass, then threw up all over the house :repuke ! Yuck! No more gross tummy noises after that! She still grazes on grass though, but not just any kind, it's got to be the good kind!

Well, weren't you thinking of trying a raw diet? Think of this as the salad bar! :P Of the dogs I've had only Kiowa seems to be a grazer and always has to stop along a walk for a little snack.

Well, weren't you thinking of trying a raw diet? Think of this as the salad bar! :P

Looks like Ms. Sheila took her funny pills today!!!! :lol