Zooks Is Licking His Back Leg Raw

Guest Zookiesmom

Guest Zookiesmom

Just looking for some advice before I call the vet tomorrow. Last week we noticed Zooks had a spot on his leg that he was licking raw. I think it started as a small tear when he was out running and he kept licking it, and it got worse. So, we watched him, put polysporin on it and tried to stop him from licking it. He did, but he started another spot further down his leg (back leg). So, I wrapped it up with some vet wrap. Not too tight, just enough to keep the bandage on. It was on for two nights, and today I went to check the spot, and noticed his foot was slightly swollen. When I pulled the wrap off I noticed he had gotten below the wrap and it had worsened. Its licked raw. So I tried cleaning it up, but he kept jumping away everytime. I finally got it cleaned with DH's help, and then put a bit of polysporin on it. I haven't wrapped it, in case it caused the swelling. It's not that swollen, so I'm not extremely concerned its infected or anything. So here's some idea's we have as to why this is happening. First, stress. We've been stressed, DH's dad was just diagnosed with Lymphoma last month (everythings going good, and he's doing well with chemo), Two weeks ago we were in a car accident, so our truck is in the shop and we have a rental. It wasn't our fault, but it was a pain having to deal with insurance, etc, oh, and we've been out of town a lot lately, taking them with us. He's also been more stressed lately, for some reason, and has been chewing things in the house, which hasn't happened since we moved to the new place in January. Another possibility is the hemobartonella he was diagnosed with a while ago. He was treated for it, and improved (he didn't have serious symptoms, but once he was treated we noticed his energy level improved significantly). I thought I read somewhere that it could cause anxiety, and chewing or something like that. The last option, is something is wrong with his leg. This is the one I really don't want to think about. He's been so weird lately, crying when he can't see us, going crazy when we get home from work with excitement. Any thoughts? I appreciate any comments anyone has. We're going to try to find some shorts to keep him from chewing it, but its lower down on his leg, and keep an eye on him until we call the vet tomorrow.

Thanks!

Guest Tenderhearts

It does sound like this could be stress-related.

Toby is a furniture licker when he's stressed (like when Amber goes to work).

We had a doberman who boarded when I worked for my vet, and she would chew her feet raw when she boarded, in spite of anti-anxiety meds.

Do you have any benadryl on hand for tonight?

Guest Zookiesmom
It does sound like this could be stress-related.

Toby is a furniture licker when he's stressed (like when Amber goes to work).

We had a doberman who boarded when I worked for my vet, and she would chew her feet raw when she boarded, in spite of anti-anxiety meds.

Do you have any benadryl on hand for tonight?

Yes, I do. Should I give him some now, or have it just in case? I was worried it was allergies too. How much can you give greyhounds? He's 80 pounds.

Thanks!!!!

Guest Tenderhearts

If he's still trying to mess with it, I would give him some tonight. I used it for Lori Ann when her sutures were starting to itch on her flank from a dog attack.

Dosage is 1mg per pound, if you have the 25 mg pills, he can have three. Some dogs react more to the benadryl than others, so you could start off with 1-2 pills and see if that helps.

Lori Ann got 3 of the 25 mg pills. A lower dosage than that was worthless for her :lol

Guest Zookiesmom
If he's still trying to mess with it, I would give him some tonight. I used it for Lori Ann when her sutures were starting to itch on her flank from a dog attack.

Dosage is 1mg per pound, if you have the 25 mg pills, he can have three. Some dogs react more to the benadryl than others, so you could start off with 1-2 pills and see if that helps.

Lori Ann got 3 of the 25 mg pills. A lower dosage than that was worthless for her :lol

Thanks so much. I have liquid on hand. I bought it for the first aid kit, :lol. He's lying calmly in front of me right now, with an ice pack wrapped in a towel on the leg to try to reduce the swelling. I think part of it may be him milking it for attention to. He was a pain in the butt with me trying to clean it up, but as soon as DH came home he was fine and happy to see him. Such a butthead. Were going to call the vet tomorrow and at least get him in, in case the leg is bothering him.

It sounds as if it could well be stress related, and with so much going on right now in the family, it wouldn't hurt to plug in a DAP diffuser, because dogs pick up on stress so easily. Can't hurt, might help a lot. Another thing dogs with stress may find helpful is having safe stuff to chew. Chewing is something they do to calm themselves, so a good quality smoked bone, or a frozen kong may help him too.

Sorry you're going through tough times. :(

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop