Help Bladder Infections

Guest D_MansMommy

Guest D_MansMommy

I need some advice and opinions from you all.

We adopted TC in June. In August he had a "serious bladder infection" the vet's words. He was on Clavamox for 20 days. I took in urine samples during his treatment to make sure it was working. He was fine after the antibiotics.

Monday morning he woke up at 5 am and peed in our bedroom. I thought it was behavioral because Dh was out of town. He has since peed twice in the house (which is unlike him) and Dh is home. I think the bladder infection is back. We have a vet appointment tomorrow.

I just want your opinions on re-occuring bladder infections and if you know if there is anything I can do to help prevent them. I will ask the vet of course but I just want some advice from you experienced grey owners :)

Thanks!

Don't limit water, like Burpdog said. With D, he had a UTI, we did a standard course of antibiotics, but w/ a week or two it was back and raging. At that point we did a culture, found out Baytril should work, and did a LONG course of it. There are times if there's a really persistent infection that an antibiotic is necessary for a long time. (i.e. a couple months)

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

Guest D_MansMommy

Thank you for your advice :) The vet took an x-ray of his bladder, no stones or anything bad showed up and she did an urine culture. Results should be back in about a week. In the mean time TC is on Baytril. We'll take it from there when the results are in.

In addition to long term antibiotics, and testing urine two weeks after and then a month after completion of antibiotics, and filtered water and unlimited water, it is also very important that he is not required to "hold it". If there isn't anyone home during the day then he should either have a dog sitter mid-day or a dog door. I hope your boy feels better soon. Poor baby, bladder infections are very painful. :grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest D_MansMommy

Thanks Greylady94 for your advice :) My boys always have unlimited water and go out frequently. Dh took off today to take TC out every 2 hours. We'll continue this through the weekend until the Baytril starts working. Normally the longest the pups are left alone is 4 hours.

I did speak with the vet this morning and we are doing an ultrasound on TC's prostrate on Tuesday. I'm really not sure what she is looking for (She caught me off guard at 8 am while I was in the shower) I trust her and we'll find out what is going on with my baby boy.

Guest CindiLuvsGreys

Cranberry capsules are great and also an extended round of antibiotics will usually kick out a reacurring UTI. Also encourage him to drink as much as possible. The water will flush his bladder. Poor baby UTIs are the pitts.

Guest jupiterooos
in addition, start cranberry capsules. It should throw off the PH of the urine enough, so that the bacteria can't repopulate.

Is it safe to give cranberry while the dog is still on antibiotics? Jupiter is apparently having the same issue, and is on Clavamox right now. Just wondering if I should hold off on the extra pills till he's done with the meds.

in addition, start cranberry capsules. It should throw off the PH of the urine enough, so that the bacteria can't repopulate.

Is it safe to give cranberry while the dog is still on antibiotics? Jupiter is apparently having the same issue, and is on Clavamox right now. Just wondering if I should hold off on the extra pills till he's done with the meds.

Ask your vet to make sure, but I take cranberry capsules because of chronic UTI's and have continued taking them even while taking antibiotics for a UTI. They haven't totally stopped the UTI's but they aren't as frequent.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

I did with Yardman, but check with your vet. They will be able to give you a yea or nay quickly over the phone.

Free access to water and 1/2 a can of cheap beer (think Natty Light, Busch Light type) per day. The little bit of alcohol is just enough to keep water flowing on through. It's old-school but has worked for a lot of dogs.

Lynn

Guest whatahound

Nikki had reoccurring UTI's (about every 8 months). Each time it was cleared with baytril. I also started her on cranberry relief.(from kv vet supply) It's now been 2 years with no infections. I also give her filtered water.

Guest jupiterooos
Free access to water and 1/2 a can of cheap beer (think Natty Light, Busch Light type) per day. The little bit of alcohol is just enough to keep water flowing on through. It's old-school but has worked for a lot of dogs.

Lynn

Really?! I might have to try that. I can just see myself going to the Liquor Store of Harsh Judgments around the corner and telling them "Errrr....it's for the dog!" as they glare at me :lol

Here's something odd. Jupiter would never drink water - we always put water in his food and give him small amounts with some broth throughout the day to try to keep him hydrated. Well, on both this round of Clavamox and the last one, he's been drinking plain, standing water, like a normal dog. Maybe the peeing hurt him before, so he tried to not drink to avoid it? Poor baby.

Liquor Store of Harsh Judgements, ROFLMAO...

Unrelated to UTI's but gotta share:

A few months ago, Louis got into the food. That means that he ate until he looked like he had ingested a watermelon- WHOLE. I took him outside, stuck my hand down his throat and made him throw up a bunch of it. Yes, it was a lot, but he wasn't giving it all up. He was getting REALLY gassy and uncomfortable and I knew it was going to be a looong night. Thankfully I was off the next day. So, I headed to the nearest grocery store. You get some VERY strange looks when you go through the line with a 6 pack, Gas-X and Pepcid. I ended up explaining that the meds were for the dog and the beer was for me, but I'm not sure that the cashier believed me.

Lynn

Guest D_MansMommy

Lynn

Thanks Lynn for your suggestion :) I've seen post about beer before from you and other very grey savvy people. I'm just a little apprehensive :blush I don't drink beer and Dh drinks expensive beer (ie higher alcohol content). I'll give it some thought :)