Does Steroid Withdrawal Cause Appetite Loss?

Guest greytmonty

Guest greytmonty

Monty has finished weaning off the Temaril P that gave him Iatrogenic Cushings. :angryfire

He has really lost his appetite for the last week or so. He is on this unappetizing prescription food but he ate it for the first two weeks when he was still on the Temaril. Now he eats 50% or less of his food. I can only add in the canned prescription gook to make it more tempting. He does like that a bit better.

I looked online but couldn't tell if going OFF steroids causes an appetite decrease.

Has anyone had this experience?

thank you.

Karen

Stevie was on pred for several months a couple of years ago. He was starving all the time. However, when he went off of it, he kept his healthy appetite. Before the pred, he was the type of dog who could take food or leave it. Two years later after being on the pred, he is still hungry all the time. He was as if he just got into the habit of wanting food all the time even without pred.

Part of it's probably the steroids, part is probably that he doesn't care for the prescription foods. In the past, whenever I've had a pup or cat that needed prescription food for a time, they -HATED- it (especially the cats! OMG, talk about a hunger strike!! And it was not that they weren't hungry: I remember Tyler, our piggy boy, turning his nose up at the prescription food, and then later me literally having to pull him OUT of the refrigerator since he was trying to attack the turkey :lol:blink: )

Pred gives me the opposite reaction: makes me very queasy, so I tend to eat very little, and need to force myself to eat something to at least help keep the pred down. I hate the stuff.

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel

Guest greytmonty

Monty clearly doesn't love the prescription food but I also think he has lost his appetite, as he is very food motivated usually.

I am hoping this is temporary due to withdrawal from steroids. We do not need ONE more problem. :unsure