Lexi Has A Lump On Her Toe!

Guest Emma0422

Guest Emma0422

I'm so worried about my girl, and I posted this on my local board, but wanted to get the advice of everyone here as well!

I thought that Lexi was stung by a bee yesterday. We have a ton of yellow jackets surrounding some flowering bushes outside and Lexi likes to try and catch them with her mouth. On Tuesday evening, I let them out to potty and watched from the door. All of a sudden, Lexi was crying and holding her foot up. I thought she must've been stung, but didn't see any swelling or redness. I just rubbed her foot a little and then we went to bed. (She is a drama queen and often holds this same foot up when she's running too hard for a long time. She'll come limping over to me and wait for me to rub it, then she's fine.)

Yesterday, her toe swelled right at the joint where the toe bends above the nail. I called the vet and he had me give her Benadryl. Came home tonight from work and the toe is still swollen. The entire toe is NOT swollen-just where the joint is. Any ideas on what this could be? She is running around like normal, putting pressure on it and letting me squeeze it. It is very hard, just like it's a regular bone...nothing moves around inside it or anything. I am panicking, of course, because I really thought it was just a bee sting. Now, I'm worried it's something more. She has a vet appointment tomorrow afternoon, so I'm really just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks!

The could be numerous reasons but you are doing the right thing by taking her to the vet. May turn out to be a dislocated toe, arthritis or something else. Try not to worry. :grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

It is likely safer to bring her in than not....can't hurt to get her looked at right? From your description it does sound like a sting is possible. The benadryl would have helped minimize the reaction but there will still be a localized reaction to the sting....where you describe a harder mass. But it is possible it could be something else especially since you mentioned she has had previous issues with the same foot. You are making the right decision but I wouldn't stress to much. Please update when you can. :grouphug

Guest Emma0422

Vet UPDATE:

I took her in this afternoon and he did an xray. Nothing was there. It didn't even show up at all, so that's partially good news. It means there is no bone cancer. However, after a needle aspiration, nothing showed up but blood. So, that means she has to have a biopsy on Wednesday. It would've been sooner, but my vet is switching offices and I didn't want to leave her all day. This way, I'll take her and stay with her since they're just going to do a local anesthetic. Anyway, please say a prayer for my baby. The vet wasn't really clear on what it COULD be because he doesn't want to assume things. I, on the other hand, WORRY like crazy and am praying that it's nothing.

Are you sure the toe joint wasn't knobby before? It sounds like a sprung toe (loosened ligament) that happened some time ago and has now calcified. If it isn't currently causing her pain and nothing shows up on the x-ray, I'd probably just leave it be and watch it for a bit.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Emma0422
Are you sure the toe joint wasn't knobby before? It sounds like a sprung toe (loosened ligament) that happened some time ago and has now calcified. If it isn't currently causing her pain and nothing shows up on the x-ray, I'd probably just leave it be and watch it for a bit.

It may have been, but I just don't think so. I'm usually rubbing all over my girls, so I think I would've noticed it. I will certainly ask about a loosened ligament. I am so worried about them biopsying it, but I also don't want to let it go if it's nothing. Thanks for the info!

• 4 months later...
Guest jsullysix

any updates on this? my boy has the same issue. i'm hoping for the sprung toe, and think it's possible because a few months ago, the outer toe got stuck underneath the foot and he was limping. i fixed it for him and he's been fine, but that joint is still a little knobby and red.

sully