Worming

I'm a new owner and our 2 greybro's came direct from the trainer but through a rehoming group. On our visit to the group they commented about how thin hector looked and to worm him again. The trainer did give them some worming pill before we took them and the group gave us 4 tablets of an all-wormer, so i had planned on just giving them those.

I thought i should really get them weighed first to make sure i was A- feeding enough and B-correctly dosing the wormer. Turns out that that i'd need 6 of the wormer pills as its 1 per 10kg and there both 30kg Doh! So i went to get some more from the petstore as it was a weekend, then once i got home i realised that the they(pedigree) are rather non-descript about what they kill and so i wasn't sure whether to use them or not.

Anyway i am feeding enough (chicken & rice kibble) + bit extra and i haven't seen anything wormy looking in either of there stools so far. Would it be better to go to the vets and get a feacal test and worm on the results of that or just worm them anyway? I've read some of the worm topics in search and many suggest panacur & drontal which i'd look to get (not sure if OTC or from vet in UK)

Here's some pics, is he too thin? His bro is more squarely built and about an inch shorter so he looks quite different to Hector, so hard to tell. Hector is the mainly black one with a white dipped snozzle!

2007_08260021.jpg

2007_08260097.jpgDSC01012.jpg

Guest sheila

anytime I bring a new dog home I always take them into the vet for a 'well dog' type visit just to have them looked over and I bring in the previous vet record so that a file can be started for them. That might be a good time to ask the vet about the worming protocol and get them tested and ask any questions.

I don't think Hector looks too thin at all

They don't necessarily look too thin.... how old are they? They look like gangly adolescents. If they're older than 2 1/2 to 3 years old, then I'd work on getting a couple of pounds on each, but if they're young, then they're still filling out.

Lynn

They'll be 2 on 10th sept :) Party hats ahoy!

I think i'll see about arranging a check up visit with the vet then. Would do us good to visit the place before really needing to go for something more serious. The vets had an online registration, so i've not been there either.

That's a good idea!

For their age, they look just about right. Young greyhounds-especially males- are often all ears and feet at that age. Keep giving them good food and lots of exercise and they'll fill out nicely in time.

Lynn

Edited to add: They are VERY cute. I bet they keep you on your toes!

Edited by LynnM

Thanks Lynn, thats put my mind at rest.

Was supposed to be going to a greyhound show that adoption group is running this weekend and wasn't looking forward to it because of the comments we had about him being too thin. As although he now looks in better condition coatwise and has a bit more muscle definition i can't see that he's gained much weight since we got him.

Ahh yes they are definately like naughty children at times just looking for trouble to get into. They do make me smile a lot with their antics though :lol:

Edited by moofie

Guest Tenderhearts

I don't know what you have available for OTC dewormers over there, but I get my dewormer from the vet's :)

There are a lot of OTC dewormers that I wouldn't trust to give my dogs :)

Both of your boys look greyt to me! :nod:D

Congratulations on your boys, they are beautiful! :) I would definitely take them to the vet for a complete physical and lab work, that way you and the vet will know if there are any problems plus you will have a baseline.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest longdogs

Getting the vet to give them a once-over is a good idea. My two get wormed regularly and I don't bother testing first. The wormers are safe and the cost of a test is much higher than the cost of the wormers.

Your dogs are very handsome and neither looks too skinny to me at all! All the same, I would agree with others that an introductory visit and healthcheck at the vets is a good idea - as you say, it'll be less traumatic than waiting until there's something wrong. They can weigh the dogs for you and put that information on their records so you have a baseline to check against on future visits.

I'm afraid the wormer you bought from the petshop isn't going to be particularly effective - ask the vet to sell you whatever's appropriate for your area (probably Drontal, could be Panacur) and also ask about flea and tick preventatives (Frontline, etc). How often these are needed will also depend on where you live. Here in London Doc only gets wormed every six months but needs the flea and tick stuff every month, at least in summer. Once you know what is appropriate you will be able to buy the stuff much more cheaply online - I use http://www.vet-medic.com

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Well there booked in at the vets on wednesday, so we should get sorted out.

I didn't realise that the area you live in affects what wormer to use :unsure quite complicated then this worming business, glad now that the vet will be able to just explain what to use and when! I think i got a bit panicy thinking that i needed to worm as i was a bad mum, hence buying at the petstore without using my better judgement. I can probably return them so doesn't matter.

Thanks for the link Doc :) sure that will come in use!