Possible Allergies - Don't Know Where To Start

Guest ilovegreys

Guest ilovegreys

Hi all - I've had my new grey for a week now, and I think he may have allergies. When I got him, he was fine - no redness, although he did seem itchy. I took him to the vet for a checkup, and he was perfect. Now I've noticed that he's got a itchy rash on his tummy, legs, and on his bald butt. He doesn't seem to have it where he's actually got a nice full coat of fur.

This sounds like allergies to me, but I have no idea if it would be environmental or food. He's a bounce from AZ where there's not much grass, and we do have grass here. He likes to lay in it for a short time every day. I'm feeding him a combination of kibble (am) and raw (pm). He does eat the raw in the grass. His Kibble is Blue Buffalo Whitefish and Sweet Potato recipe. The only raw he's gotten so far is chicken.

Does anyone have any ideas for me? He's not miserable yet, but he is itchy and red. I'd like to nip this in the bud, if I can.

Thanks!

I'm going through the same thing right now. I called the vet and he said there are a lot of allergies out there right now. He was on his way out of town for a few days and suggested, 2 Benadryl tablets (25mg) every 12 hrs and apply Cortaid cream to the red rashy areas. He said not to use the ointment, the cream goes into the skin much better. Roush is improving and less irritated but I may still bring him to see the vet duruing the week just to make sure nothing is overlooked. Call the vet if you are concerned, the vet may suggest something similar. Congratulations on your new grey

Sure sounds like an allergy or sensitivity to something. Some possibilities are the grass, carpet, carpet cleaners, detergent used to wash bedding. You can try the Benadryl tablets and Cortaid as suggested, also try to put a large towel down on the grass where he is going to eat his raw.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest ilovegreys

Thanks ya'll. I'll try the Benedryl tonight before bed. That seems to be when he's the itchiest. I'll get some Cortaid cream and do that as well. I'm thinking it is maybe a grass sensitivity due to the location of the rash - it seems it would be more all over if it were his food. I don't know, but I don't want him to be miserable!

This sounds like allergies to me, but I have no idea if it would be environmental or food. He's a bounce from AZ where there's not much grass, and we do have grass here. He likes to lay in it for a short time every day.

Don't think we don't have grass here! In my neighborhood in metro Phoenix, there's not a backyard without it. Everything is irrigated because we all like a patch of grass. Some folks may let it go dry (especially in the winter), but unless he came straight from the farm (but he's a bounce, right?), he probably played on grass.

We get the same sort of symptoms on Coco- the legs are red, sometimes the belly is red- the ears also get red. He's on prednisone, 5 mg three times a week. By Sunday, he's a little itchy, but Monday's dose puts him back on track. Without it- he's in trouble, and starts scratching so bad his eye was bleeding. The pred makes life bearable for him, and it's just a tiny dose for a big dog.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest figbykal

When our Mandy exhibited similar symtoms, we had her tested for environmental allergies. She was positive for several grasses, dust mites, several environmental molds... So I had a choice at this point to either do allergy shots or prednisone. I did a little reading and researching and I found out that sometimes dogs with environmental allergies also have food allergies. I decided to try a switch in diet to all Raw. That did the trick. Her symptoms completely disappeared. By the way, the pred took off the edge but symptoms were still there. We also tried a topical cortaid and a prescription topical..did not help at all.

I would probably have your boy tested for environmental allergies. the food is a lot trickier and takes longer because you have to do it by trial and error. Once you figure out what is bothering him you can go from there.

Good luck

K :ghplaybow

Guest david_42

If you suspect allergies, first try giving him a good antihistamine. If the problem is reduced, then start locating the cause. People burn up huge amounts of time and hundreds of dollars tracking down 'allergies' that don't exist. I thought Cougar had allergies because his feet were red & sore and a clorotab a day stopped most of it. Then I stopped the clorotab to try and figure out the problem, but the redness never came back!

Edited by david_42