Question For Friend Without Internet/greytalk

Guest vtgreys

Guest vtgreys

Would anyone know what the proper dosage for an average size (about 65 lbs) female grey would be? A friend of mine is asking, because her groomer is willing to scake her dog's teeth for a lot less than a vet would charge her, but won't do so without a round of preventive Amoxycillin. I have found one website that mentioned 11 mg per kg of dog - is that accurate? And if so, is half of a normal 875 mg tablet the appropriate dose?

Thanks!

11 mk/kg BID (or twice daily) is correct. 250 mg is a common dosage for the pill to come in, so you'd end up giving 2 pills per day for a total of 500 mg/day.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

The scaling and the dosing needs to be done by a vet. Scaling without anesthesia will improve the dog's mouth cosmetically in the short term, but does NOTHING for his overall health, and in the long term, makes things worse because the scaling makes scratches in the enamel that, if not properly polished out, make an even MORE attractive home for bacteria, plaque and tartar. Additionally, the tartar and plaque above the gumline, which causes the most harm, will be left untouched. Your friend would saving a little money now in order to spend a lot more down the road.

Lynn

Guest DoofBert

HMM... IMHO, prescription meds should be dispensed by medical doctor/vet. While I am somewhat tempted by thought of scaling the teeth myself (I even bought the 'device), I changed my mind when I read the other thread.

I brush the gang, I give raw bones, they have a kibble diet. AND, I use gauze to wipe the teeth with listerene. It's amazing how clean they get!

Edited by DoofBert