Sorry - Another Flea Question

Guest Gideon

Guest Gideon

Ok, so I put Frontline Plus on Duke yesterday morning. There is no improvement. In fact, I just pulled three off of his neck area.

We've never had this problem before and I've usually been more rigorous in flea prevention. How long does it take to kill the fleas on him now?

Guest BlackandBrindle

Product info says 18 hours to kill the majority, and up to 48 to kill 100%.... dunno if that helps or not. We've only used it for prevention, rather than after the fact....

Scritches to poor Duke!

Guest KennelMom

Frontline works by being absorbed by the dog and then re-excreted by the oil glands in their skin (that's why its best to apply several days before or after a bath when their skin isn't stripped of it's natural oils). IIRC, it should kill all fleas on the dog within 24 hours of application.

Capstar kills all fleas within 4 hours and offers 24 hour protection, so if I have a dog with a flea problem I use the two in combo - capstar first to kill the nasty buggers immediately and give the Frontline or Advantage time to work. I had a major problem last year with Frontline not killing fleas like it should, so I switched to Advantage.

Guest Gideon

So, I should give it another 24 hours? Is it risky to use both meds at once? I do not know if this is a full on infestation or not but I really want to head this off.

Guest greybookends

You can use Capstar and Frontline together. I have always in the past used Frontline Plus but in the last couple of years it has had diminished effects on fleas in this area and most of the vets around here have switched their patients to K-9 Advantage. I hope poor Duke gets relief soon and you as well.

Don't know about fleas, but for ticks it was 48 hours afterwards that we saw peak mortality.

There are two components to Frontline- fipronil and methoprene. Methonprene is a "slow kill," an insect growth regulator (IGR) that prevents proper moulting. The critters die in a shell too small for their existence (good riddance). Fipronil is a bit different; it blocks the uptake of chloride through specific nerve channels. It is favored in ant baits as it takes so long to work; the workers carry back the contaminated bait to the colony, wiping it out in many cases.

With canines, some (15%, although highly variable between individuals- which is presumably the cause of it being poorly tolerated in some dogs) is absorbed systemically. It ends up in the hair follicles- probably some from absorption, some from skin transfer- right where the critters of interest hide out.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Arrrrrrrrrgh. Really feel your pain. If you can get Capstar, and some Adams spray for the bedding, that might tide you over till the Frontline kicks in.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest KennelMom

I would Capstar every day you see fleas. It's safe to use in conjunction with Frontline. If you think you have an infestation of fleas in your house you'll want to treat your entire living space - especially any bedding he lays on frequently. You may also want to switch to Sentinel heartworm prevention for a few months - it makes fleas sterile so if they get into your house, they can't produce any baby fleas, thereby breaking the cycle. Sentinel is quite a bit pricier than other HW preventatives, but WORTH IT if you are facing a flea battle. I'd give it a couple days and see how it goes.

I feel your pain. If see one flea on any dog on our property I go into emergency/panic mode.

If see one flea on any dog on our property I go into emergency/panic mode.

Personally, I am a bit more relaxed about it, but I only have two dogs. I can see how a whole Kennel ;) could get out of hand really fast!

Typically my approach when I find a flea is to flea-comb daily, wash dog beds, and vacuum (can't wait till we rip out the carpet and put in hardwood!). When I think they're all gone I wash beds and vacuum again, just to be sure.

Edited by Ola

Guest sheila

you may have to flea bomb the entire house as well if you have an infestation. I had good luck using a product called Zodiac. I used the shampoos for all the critters and then took everyone out of the house for 4 hours after I set off the spray bombs. Then for a few days after that I kept a spray bottle of Zodiac handy in case I saw any fleas on any of them.

Guest Gideon

Ughhhhh.

They're still there. I even tried a shop vac. Still waiting for Frontline to really kick in.

Where can we find capstar? We went to Petco but they didn't have it.

If we wind up having to bomb the place, that'll just really suck.

Are there any good bomb type sprays around that are fast acting and go inert within a few hours? Just in case I can't find zodiac.