Looks Like A Polyp? On The Skin?

Guest Greensleeves

Guest Greensleeves

The last week or so, Gracie has been moping around and it seems like one of her legs might be bothering her (limping, licking). We had her at the vet Friday afternoon, and a physical exam and blood tests were all normal. Dr. Linda thought that the ridiculous heat might have sent her into a funk.

Just now we saw her curled up on the couch, licking her hip/knee area, and DH got in close and saw what looks like a bright red, fleshy polyp-like growth. It was about 1/4" long and a little bigger round than a pencil lead.

It looked exactly like the diagram in this image (not like the photo), only it was flaming red:

polyp.jpg.

We've had all kinds of growths here, and I've never seen anything like this! I've never heard of an *external* polyp. It was clearly not a bug bite of any sort that I've ever seen in my life.

Anyone have an idea what this might be?

Does it look like this? If so, it's probably just a histoma. Hailey had one right in the middle of her back. The vet wasn't concerned since she's young, but put her on antibiotics just to be on the safe side... it eventually just dried up and fell off.

If you're worried, have it checked just to make sure there are no abnormal cells present. Otherwise, just watch that it doesn't get any bigger.

Edited by JerseyGirlInOz

gallery_11362_3294_17365.png
"Hurricane Sandi" (Baurna to Run).

Forever missing my "Angel-With-A Crooked-Halo" Hailey, and "Mokkah" (Xpress Point) with all my heart.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ~~Will Rogers

Guest neenieca

Do you mean that it's sticking straight up from her skin, or is it laying flat on her skin? When we adopted Penny, she had a "thing" in her ear. It looked rather like a lima bean, only it wasn't green. It was fleshy and crusty around the edges. Our vet never gave me a name for it, but suggested that it needed to rupture before it could go away. So he messed with it a bunch until it started to bleed, then sent us home with a topical cream. And then, sure enough, it began to get smaller and smaller until it disappeared. That took at least 4 months, but it's never come back.

In any case, I would have your vet look at it, just to be sure.

Jennie

Guest Greensleeves

JerseyGirl, it looks *nothing* like that. That actually looks just like the papillomas that Whistler used to get. It also looks nothing like the hemangiomas we've had here, either, or the sebaceous cysts, or the skin tags, or.... This thing is flaming red, and it's on a sort of red stalk... just like a polyp. I tried to snap a picture of the thing, but Pigeon was twitchy and her fur (which is really thick on her leg) got in the way.

I'll absolutely be calling the vet, but I was just hoping someone might have seen this before ('cause I sure haven't!).

JerseyGirl, it looks *nothing* like that. That actually looks just like the papillomas that Whistler used to get. It also looks nothing like the hemangiomas we've had here, either, or the sebaceous cysts, or the skin tags, or.... This thing is flaming red, and it's on a sort of red stalk... just like a polyp. I tried to snap a picture of the thing, but Pigeon was twitchy and her fur (which is really thick on her leg) got in the way.

I'll absolutely be calling the vet, but I was just hoping someone might have seen this before ('cause I sure haven't!).

Are you sure it's not a skin tag that she's irritated by licking (causing the bright redness)? My first thought was skin tag, although I didn't know if dogs get them!

Sounds like a skin tag to me. Beans had one on his shoulder. They shaved the area and nipped it off - no stiches needed also just a local anesthetic to numb it slightly. It's probably red b/c she's been licking it. Beans' even appeared to have 'fingers' just like the kind people sometimes get.

Guest ellieb
Sounds like a skin tag to me. Beans had one on his shoulder. They shaved the area and nipped it off - no stiches needed also just a local anesthetic to numb it slightly. It's probably red b/c she's been licking it. Beans' even appeared to have 'fingers' just like the kind people sometimes get.

Maybe Voldemort was trying to grow out of Beans' shoulder! Okay...too much Harry Potter for Ellie...

Guest guinness_the_greyt

Skin tag was my first thought aswell.... They tell people to tie a piece of hair around them and they fall off... Let us know what you find out

My first thought was a skin tag, too. Worth getting checked out. Does your vet have a laser? That's the easy way to take them off. Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Greensleeves

Sillydog, thanks for that link. I poked around a bit, and it actually looks more like pictures of mast cell tumors (in color, sheen/texture)... although I still haven't found a picture that matches the shape.

At any rate, I have an appointment for her tomorrow, so I will stop speculating now!