Roo Biopsy Results

Guest WarmheartedPups

I dont know if I want an ultrasound...if its already spread....I think I'd rather be in the dark and happy for awhile...from the sounds of it...

there are no good options if it has spread. If I am wrong let me know.

Did they do an ultrasound of the spleen or xrays to rule out it already having metasticized?

When Brindle had it, it was already secondary to splenic hemangio.

If ultrasound and xrays are clean, then you've got an excellent prognosis.

Good luck.

Well....the problem is that if it's in the spleen, it could rupture at any time. Some vets say it's not a bad way to go...and some say it's quite painful. When Tugger was diagnosed (our schanuzer) we initially decided to put him down. Then I had second thoughts and opted for an ultrasound. I was glad to have it - we saw the tumors, they didn't look too bad, so I felt good about doing nothing but steroids for him. We had another ultrasound 6 weeks later (it was obvious he was getting worse) and things didn't look very good. We put him down a few days later. It was REALLY hard to make the decision, but afterwards, I felt some peace.

I guess, I'm saying that knowing is a good thing - especially if you can remove the spleen via surgery to stop the risk of rupture. It also allowed us to give Tugger large doses of steroids that helped with his quality of life. It only cost us about $125 for the u/s.

Guest wmlcml6

We will be praying for Mama Rooo. I have no experience with cancer of any kind (Thank God), but I hope the people here are right and Mama will be just fine with follow up exams since you caught it soon. Good job!

Ear Licks to you, Mama Roo!

Iron_Ruler_3.jpg

Lub, Your Son, the Nibbler

Guest sheila

Natasha had a lump removed from her belly area right after I adopted her. It looked like a black jelly bean. The vet removed it all and had clean margins. The biopsy was positive for it being a cancerous growth, however she never had another one and recovered with no problems.

Guest WarmheartedPups

That boy is so handsome.....I can tell he is Roos son...really!! Thanks for the kind words!

We will be praying for Mama Rooo. I have no experience with cancer of any kind (Thank God), but I hope the people here are right and Mama will be just fine with follow up exams since you caught it soon. Good job!

Ear Licks to you, Mama Roo!

Iron_Ruler_3.jpg

Lub, Your Son, the Nibbler

Well....the problem is that if it's in the spleen, it could rupture at any time. Some vets say it's not a bad way to go...and some say it's quite painful. When Tugger was diagnosed (our schanuzer) we initially decided to put him down. Then I had second thoughts and opted for an ultrasound. I was glad to have it - we saw the tumors, they didn't look too bad, so I felt good about doing nothing but steroids for him. We had another ultrasound 6 weeks later (it was obvious he was getting worse) and things didn't look very good. We put him down a few days later. It was REALLY hard to make the decision, but afterwards, I felt some peace.

I guess, I'm saying that knowing is a good thing - especially if you can remove the spleen via surgery to stop the risk of rupture. It also allowed us to give Tugger large doses of steroids that helped with his quality of life. It only cost us about $125 for the u/s.

If the cancer is in the spleen, then it already has spread because it was found on the skin. A splenectomy is moot at this point. Brindle didn't give me any warning. She seems fine in the morning. She was gone that night. Only once did she give a yelp when she moved, and now that I know what she had, I figure it must have been the cancer.

If the cancer is in the spleen, then it already has spread because it was found on the skin. A splenectomy is moot at this point. Brindle didn't give me any warning. She seems fine in the morning. She was gone that night. Only once did she give a yelp when she moved, and now that I know what she had, I figure it must have been the cancer.

I disagree that removing the spleen is a moot point. Even if the cancer is in other organs, the spleen rupturing is likely the first "fatal" issue that will happen. Remove the spleen, and you buy time as tumors in the heart or brain take longer to be fatal (usually, obviously never a guarantee).

Sorry to hear this, but clean margins is good. Don't panic. You caught it early.

Here is another link http://www.caninecancerawareness.org/html/...giosarcoma.html

Again, look for dermal Hemangiosarcoma on this site.

Hugs to you and Roo,

Gillian, Catwalk and Pilgrim

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

• 4 weeks later...
Guest CindyMessmore

I did a search on Greytalk for Hemangiosarcoma and found this thread. One of my Whippets has just be diagnosed, and it is said that she has the cutaneous type, and had clean margins. So... I'm hanging in there. Let me know how things go for you and your pupper.