Greyhound Scars

Guest akniki

Guest akniki

My new greyound has a few scars on his side that are hairless. According to the rescue he was probably caught up in a tuff at the farm. They don't think the scars are very old so I was wondering if there was something to put on them to make them fade or to at least get some hair to grow back.

Guest Tenderhearts

Hair won't grow back on scar tissue. Lori Ann had a huge scar on her flank from another dog attacking her, and eventually the surrounding hair covered it, but not on the scar.

Randy has some very obvious scars, probably from a barbed wire fence he tangled with while he was running loose prior to being caught by AC and taken in by Race The Wind.

Personally, I think the scars are just a part of my wonderful sweet goofy boy! :wub:

Guest Hokiebuck

Nope...hair won't grow on the scars. For all those male dogs...just remember this

"Bones Mend...Wounds Heal....and Chicks dig SCARS!" :lol:lol

Guest akniki
Nope...hair won't grow on the scars. For all those male dogs...just remember this

I's true, I do think his scars add character. I'd just heard that putting vaseline on the scar would help it to grow back hair and I was wondering if there was any truth to that.

I's true, I do think his scars add character. I'd just heard that putting vaseline on the scar would help it to grow back hair and I was wondering if there was any truth to that.

If it is an old scar and the hair has not grown back there then it probably never will. Whether or not hair grows back at the site of a wound depends on how deep the wound was and how much damage has been done.

Various things are recommended for rubbing into new scars to help the hair to re-grow but from what I have heard it is not so much what you rub in as the act of rubbing it in....In other words by massaging the area you may improve the blood supply and break down some of the underlying scar tissue which may or may not encourage hair to re-grow.

I am currently waiting to see if the hair on Miss Sadi's bottom will regrow after her latest mishap :rolleyes: It probably won't :lol

Edited by scullysmum

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Guest tanner

Hair won't grow back on the scars, but I put Missing Link Plus on their food everyday and the hair is growing around the scars where you hardley notice them. Plus, their coat looks great.

Guest KennelMom

The hair won't regrow on the scar, but sometimes the scar shrinks over time and the hair on the surrounding tissue covers it up. I've never put anything on our dog's scars and some have "gone away" (shrunk) over the years so you can barely see them and others have stayed the same.

And the short single coat makes scars more obvious on a greyhound than, say, on a golden retriever.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)