Pooping

Guest AmyB

I'm forever posting pooping questions here. I think there should be a whole category devoted to poop. This one is about how Gretchen is pooping dramatically less often.

Anyway, Gretchen had diarrhea on Sunday, so I replaced half her kibble with rice. It didn't work, so Monday morning (after she pooped diarrhea) I fasted her, and then gave her chicken with pasta for dinner. She didn't poop again until Tuesday, when it was perfect-- not Big D. So I added kibble to the chicken and pasta-- just a bit. She didn't poop again until this morning (Wednesday), and it was diarrhea. So back to all chicken and pasta. Then she didn't poop again all day today-- not since this morning, and it's now 10:15 pm.

Normally she'll go about three out of four walks-- not huge amounts each time. Lately she's been averaging once a day. I'm assuming it's because the chicken and pasta don't produce as much poop as kibble does. Maybe I'm also mismeasuring chicken and pasta and not giving her enough food. Am I right, or is something wrong?

She is probably not getting enough food to generate the output you are used to seeing.Also it takes a lot of chicken and pasta to make up the calories she needs. It sounds like the kibble you have tried to feed her is not agreeing with her tummy.

You might want to think about looking for a different kibble.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

How strange, though. It's the same kibble I've been feeding her for months-- Wellness. It took me forever to find one that works.

Now I feel guilty that she's not getting enough food this week. Maybe I'll go to the store tomorrow and see what else I can find.

Is it a new bag or an old bag? Sometimes there is a slight formula change, or a problem in the manufacturing process. Or if the bag has gone stale that could be the problem. I would give the company a call and see what they say.

You should be seeing less poop with chicken/rice than with kibble, because there is much less filler so not as much waste is produced. If you are concerned about the feeding amount, that is pretty easy to calculate. How much Wellness were you feeding and which formula?

Did a quick lookup: if you are feeding the chicken or lamb formula, that's approx. 400 kcal/cup. Say you're feeding 3 cups per day, that's approx. 1200 kcal/day.

A search on the USDA nutrient data laboratory a cup of cooked dark meat chicken is about 240 kcal/100 grams and they estimate that a cup is about 330 kcal. Not sure how much chicken vs. rice you are feeding but a cup of rice is approx. 200 kcal. So if you are feeding half rice half chicken (by volume) you would need approx. 2 1/4 cups of each per day (based on feeding 3 cups of chicken or lamb Wellness). Also, with an upset tummy I would be feeding a bit less, just to not overload the stomach.

Does that help?

Edited by Ola

Guest sdaniw

This might sound crazy but you might want to call your vet and have them check out a stool sample. Our Maddie was fine for over a month and then all of a sudden she got the big D on and off for a couple of days, turned out she had a parasite in her belly.

Guest wrldruler

We put George on a bland diet for a few days and he didn't poop either. And when he did, it was the tiniest amount imaginable -- and I think it was 100% pumpkin coming out. The body uses what little you give it, so nothing to waste.

I, too, would be worried about the sudden D -- take a stool sample to the vet.

- Chris

The same thing happened with Carolina. She was fine on plain rice and beef but as soon as I added kibble back in she would blow. She ended up having hookworms. Take a stool sample to the vet just to make sure.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Guest ss556

Had similiar issues with Alan. It turns out I wasn't feeding him enough chicken and rice, I didn't know how much to give and he didn't poop often. Then I started adding the kibble back, soft poop, always added pumpkin, now he's pooping a lot b/c I found a kibble he will eat - most of the time. But with human foods, he didn't poop a lot or as often as he used to.

I think I will take her to the vet next week if this doesn't clear up. It's kind of back and forth, so we'll see.

This happened once before and I took her to the vet, but she didn't have a parasite. It cleared up on its own.