Natural Anti-anxiety Remedies

It's possible this has already been done, but I was hoping to compile a list of natural remedies for anxiety issues that people have used over time. I'm familiar with the DAP diffuser, Rescue Remedy, Melatonin, SAM-E, and have heard of a few others that are slipping my mind right now. If you've had success using an herbal or natural remedy for any type of anxiety - generalized, thunderstorm, separation, etc. - could you please post the name of it here (and a link to a website where you can get more info or order it if you have one).

I'd also find any info on what you used it for, background, etc. interesting as well.

Thanks!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest lat41065

Petsmart carries one called Pet ease that i use lots and it works greyt on my thunderphobic dog. I also use it on new fosters that are nervous. It is the same ingredients in the more expensive brands. They also carry Quiet moments that I have used also

The thing that helps my puppers with anxiety the best is not something they take. After not being satisfied with the results of Rescue Remedy, melatonin, etc. I ordered the doggy lullaby CD. If I'm here when they begin getting stressed I put it on and within 2 or 3 minutes their breathing calms down and they lay down and go to sleep breathing normally. If I'm not going to be here and we are supposed to have rain (which is a whole lot of the time in Houston) I leave it playing on repeat. I have no connection to this product I just really think it's great. http://www.caninelullabies.com/

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest VelvetEars

I use essential oils a lot at home. Be sure you read up on them before you try these, but I've used them successfully, and these apply to people as well as pets.

I use lavender essential oil for anxiety -- can be ordered on ebay (good sellers include essenceofjoy and lavenderluxuries). In an opaque spray bottle, mix 3 1/2 oz distilled water with 1 Tbsp 100 proof vodka or everclear (NOT rubbing alcohol). Add up to 20 drops lavender essential oil and shake well to mix before using. Can be used as a room spray or bedding spray. Alternatively, rub 1 drop lavender essential oil on chest or back of neck, or put a drop on the bedding or collar. It can also be applied to wounds to help heal and simultaneously calm (1 drop will do it - I usually apply with a cotton ball).

Other good EOs to have on hand are peppermint or ginger for nausea - they work for people and pets. These oils MUST be diluted in a carrier oil before being applied to dog or person. I usually use 3 drops in 5ml of carrier oil (grapeseed works very well, as does sweet almond oil, but you can also just use ordinary canola or vegetable oil). Store mixture in a brown glass bottle (aka Boston round bottle). Apply a small amount to abdomen for nausea and/or vomiting. A drop of undiluted oil can be placed on bedding or on the dog's collar.

Classical music is often recommended for post-seizure time, and I find it also works well in general anxiety-wrought situations, and probably readily available on your local classical radio station.

I'm bumping my own post - I know there are more people out there who can contribute to this. Burpdog, aren't you familiar with some chinese medicines? Help! :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."