Weird Bump, Should I Be Worried?

Guest PearlPower

Guest PearlPower

So, this evening, I'm petting Pearl when I feel a small, pointy"ish" bump behind her shoulder blade. I put her in a down, got down on the floor and checked more closely. This is where it gets gross...

So, it looks like a mid-size whitehead pimple with a reddish ring on the skin around it and a small amound of dried yellow crusty stuff, which I assumed to be puss, at the top. I started to look more closely, as I was worried it could be a tick (I've never seen or dealt with one...). As I was feeling it VERY gently, white puss started coming out. Pearl didn't even notice what I was doing so I started to put very mild pressure and a surprising amound of puss came out. I continued until nothing else came out. The area is now flat and red and the bump is gone. I've washed it with germistat and put some fucidin cream on it. There's been no bleeding, she hasn't even blinked while I was touching it and there doesn't appear to be anything else wrong (ie. area hot to the touch, striations around the area, bad smell, etc.). I've done a VERY thorouch investigation and haven't found any other bumps on her.

SO...I'm assuming/hoping this was just a pimple or a mild bug bite. Should I be concerned/could it be something more serious? Yes, I'm a worrywart... :unsure

Guest PearlPower

Thanks for replying so quickly! I won't worry now as I know you're "experienced" with grey bumps :lol

Pearl's coat is so thick that if the area wasn't still damp from the meds, I wouldn't even be able to find it again... I'm hoping that's a good thing!

Thanks again!

Sounds like a classic abcess of some kind. Aren't we gross primates? Picking and squeezing each other's stuff? :P

When I had goats, one would always get a "sterile abcess" at the site of her yearly injection. The vet instructed me to do it low on her body to make drainage less disgusting. Well ... that didn't help much! :P

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Arrow gets ingrown hairs and pimples just as you describe. Once they are drained they go away.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee