Greta's Nose

Guest GretaDad

Guest GretaDad

How do you stop a dog from licking her nose? Yesterday morning I noticed Greta had a slight abrasion on the top of her nose. I woke up this morning to her nose looking like this.

If possible, I would like to:

1) Promote the quick (or as quick as possible) healing.

2) Taste REALLY bad so that she doesn't lick it until it's healed.

Thanks in advance for any help/advise.

Daren

greta_nose.jpg

I've had one of my pups get an scrape on their noses. My pup finally left it alone and it healed by itself. I can't think of anything you can put on it that she won't be eating.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest JohnnyBell

Oh this is a tough one.Mabe just keep it as clean as possable,clean it with some saline solution and maybe then for a day or so you can dab alittle neosporin and try to keep her from licking it for 5 or so minutes so it soaks up some of the ointment...that tiny bit wouldn't hurt her at all.Then I would just leave it, it should heal by itself.

Yeah, that IS a tough one. Nose licking is such basic dog behaviour - they do it all the time, just the odd quick lick here and there to moisten it, or as a normal part of dog behaviour.

I wouldn't put anything on it that tastes nasty. Maybe just distract her each time you see her do it - don't tell her off for it because that will be awfully confusing for her. Muzzle won't help, unless you can make it sit off that part? But then she may be able to get her tongue up there anyway.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest mirthlesstroll
What about EMT Spray? That would help keep it clean and dry, and the spray has a bitter agent in it that should keep her from licking it.

Good luck!

EMT spray should do the trick, just cup your hand over her eyes so no overspray stings in her eyes.

My golden does this but his never got to that stage. I use EMT gel because it goes on like glue and stays for some time. I distract him with a peanut butter stuffed marrow bone as soon as I do it so he leaves it alone for a few minutes.

Not easy to fix! Good luck!