Dental Troubles -- Bad Teeth Soon After Dental

Poor Copper. He had a dental about 2 months ago and the vet reported that he had bad gingivitis and his teeth were pretty rank (its been 1 year since his last dental). I have been brushing daily (except when I was on vacation last week, he got 0 brushings at the pet sitter). Sometimes I do 2xdaily brushing. I also use a chlorhexidine rinse daily. Additionally he gets chewies that are from the vet adn are purported to reduce the incident of tartar formation.

Ok, there's the history. Copper's breath is RANK again. I mean, really, really nasty. If he breathes too much in an enclosed space, the odor is obnoxious. I have checked his teeth and none appear to be damaged and there is just a small amount of tartar forming. A water pick was recommended by some friends and I've not tried it yet ... Copper was afraid of it and I've been desensitizing him to the spraying water. :rolleyes:

Any thoughts?

Cindy Missing my Thunder... Copper and Cowboy

siggy.jpg

GPA-Wisconsin

GPA-Wisconsin E-Bay Benefit Auctions

Check those teeny little nubs of teeth at the very back of his jaws, behind the big molars. Many times even folks who brush diligently can miss those.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest SquanHound

Are his teeth strong enough to chew of RMBs? If so, I would get some from the store, freeze them and give them to him regularly. RMBs (& Bully Sticks as well) did wonders on getting rid of Ping's tartar.

Guest Greensleeves

You might ask the vet about doing Doxyrobe during his next dental. This is (from what I understand) a sort of anti-inflammatory "caulk" that is packed around the teeth, kind of under the gumline. Whistler had this done during his last dental, and the difference was astounding. He'd had bad breath for 5 years, and this instantly made it better. In Whistler's case, the results were pretty permanent (we lost him a little over a year later), although I'm not sure how long it's typically expected to last.

Here's more info, from www.shakervet.com:

Doxyrobe Gel – a gelatinous material impregnated with Doxycycline (antibiotic) that promotes reattachment of the gingival to the tooth root and alveolar bone. Gingival detachment occurs with severe gingival infections.

Several vets here use the pulse therapy -- antirobe first 5 days of the month, every month. Sounds like he might benefit from that.

Are you sure the rank breath is from his teeth? It can come from the stomach.

How can you tell the difference between mouth stink and stomach stink?

Cindy Missing my Thunder... Copper and Cowboy

siggy.jpg

GPA-Wisconsin

GPA-Wisconsin E-Bay Benefit Auctions

My first thought was stomach and I see Diane has the same thought. :lol The difference in my dog's breath now as opposed to when they were on kibble is amazing.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg