Johnny Cash's Neck Pain

Guest brindlebutt

Guest brindlebutt

7pm, Friday, just as vet offices were closing across the NE, Johnny Cash, suddenly and out of nowhere, started screaming in pain -- when he rolled around on his bed, when he got "happy tail" in the face from the others, etc.

He had had a painful ear infection, and my assumption was that it had returned, even though his ears looked healthy and were free of junk, and he did not scream in pain when I touched them. Hmmm.

Vet examined him Monday, turned his head as part of the exam, and bingo, the poor guy shrieked in pain.

Diagnosis: neck sprain, disk problem, something -- and sent him home with prednisone, and firm orders for STRICT REST, no collar, avoiding steps, no ear cleanings.

The ink had not dried on the check before he seemed to have gotten better :lol , but it did recur, but NEVER as bad as before the exam, thank heavens.

I am not aware that he had any minor accident, like a slip in the car or on the steps. But something that came to mind is how totally nuts he acts whe it is time for a walk or car ride -- he not only does the greyhound jig, but he chatters his teeth and waves his head from side to side.

Another possibility -- as I have been using the ear cleaning solution fairly regularly -- might shaking his head have caused this?

But these incidents seem so minor -- would more experienced folks tell me if minor actions as I have described could have caused such neck problems, or do you think it was something I did not witness?

Yes I wouldn't be surprised at all. Even just sleeping awkwardly, twisting or turning sharply can sometimes be enough to pull a muscle just as can happen in humans. Once it has happened it does have a tendency to recur as with my present girl hound and I find gentle circular massaging down her neck and around the shoulder and top of leg areas on the affected side seems to give some relief and easing of the pain for her.

Sue from England

Yes I wouldn't be surprised at all. Even just sleeping awkwardly, twisting or turning sharply can sometimes be enough to pull a muscle just as can happen in humans. Once it has happened it does have a tendency to recur as with my present girl hound and I find gentle circular massaging down her neck and around the shoulder and top of leg areas on the affected side seems to give some relief and easing of the pain for her.

I agree...and it also might be a good idea to help him stretch his neck to keep it limber. how I do it, is I let Holly grab onto a stuffy, and I gently pull the stuffy around to the side, slowly stretching sideways and backwards...I do this on both sides. now, this won't work if you can't keep him from getting too crazy with a stuffy, but you can also try just physically turning his neck as well :)

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Another possibility -- as I have been using the ear cleaning solution fairly regularly -- might shaking his head have caused this?
Absolutely. Turbo did the exact same thing. He had an ear issue and I had to use drops and he would shake his head horribly. Ended up screaming because he pulled his neck muscles. Vet gave me rimadyl for it.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire