Cut On Foot-between Toes

I kept seeing blood on missy's foot,but couldnt locate source. Finally did and it there is a "slice" between her toes. maybe 1/4 inch deep. I cleaned it up and put bacitracin on it. covered with gauze with more bacitracin and wrapped it. covered with sock. she has left it on all day.

From experience--does it seem like I should giver it a couple days to start healing on its own as long as it stays wrapped, clean and dry? she is walking fine with the sock. i planned to take her to the vet this afternoon, but if possible would like to try and hold off as long as she is in no danger of infection. suggestions please!

Guest Winterwish

The tending to it so far is fine. But I don't think you should leave it unchecked day by day,adn that the bandage shouldn't just stay on with the cut unchecked. (I mean by you,not necessariyl the vet)

In addition,really the best thing is to let air get to it,so that would definitely include taking the bandage off.

Then when you go for walks,you can wrap it again.

I hope it heals soon and completely. :dogcookie

Guest greytexplorer

Just keep an eye on it and if it looks like it's getting infected, then you'll need to go to the vet for antibiotics.

But maybe it will heal up nicely on its own!

Guest trevdog

I wouldn't keep it wrapped, the air will help it heal faster. Webbing is a tough spot to heal, try and keep her from licking at it too.

I agree, I wouldn't keep it wrapped, just keep it dry and keep her from licking it.

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest sheila

Kiowa has cut the webbing on his feet a cpl times and I've never taken him to the vet for it. I don't know that there is much the vet can do because if they try and stitch it there is a good chance the stitches will just pull out. Keeping it open to air is a good plan but if it keeps opening up maybe just wrap it for 2-3 days (changing bandages 1-2 times daily). Of course I would also do no walking and only potty breaks for about a week.

I took her to the vet. he stitched it and wrapped it. re-check in five days. it wasnt really the webbing but underneath just between the toes. hard to explain. where the cut is gets pressure when she walks-making it hard to heal. gave her amoxi. hope this was the right thing to do.... she has been licking it like crazy--now i know why at least.

Edited by dbullwinkel