Pig Ears And The Big D

Hi everyone,

Do any of you ever give your hounds pig ears. Mine love, love, love them, and they are a fantastic pacifier when I have to go out - both grab the ears and run to their beddies...could care less if I leave!

It seems, but I'm not sure, that every time Georgia has an ear, she get an upset tummy. She had diarrhea and eats grass.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks!

Lisa

Guest BlackandBrindle

I don't personally give pig ears, but I have heard of them causing upset stomachs...

Have you tried bully sticks?

Guest ss556

Alan used to get very soft poop after eating pig ears. Only once in blue moon after that did I give him a low fat pig ear. He had no problem with that.

Thanks for all the advice. I think no more piggy ears for my girl. We'll go get some bully sticks tomorrow. She does seem to have a sensitive tummy. I have to remember I've only had her 7 weeks and I'm still getting to know her - feels like she's been mine forever. She's very deep in my heart. :wub:

I'm being extra careful with her, too, after what the so-called vet told me "suspected cardiomyopathy." I got a second opinion and was assured that she's a very healthy girl...but I'm still a little nervous. :unsure

Guest gapeach1

Those pig ears have a tendency to cause the greys loose stools. The dogs love them, but it does make them very loose and also gassy. Walmart sells a substitute which works well, called Better Than Pig Ears. My dogs love them, and it has ended all those ugly problems.

GAPeach1

Guest lotsahounds

My vet told me a long time ago not to give them too many pig ears because they are so greasy and can cause multiple problems. Once in awhile is ok.

Guest RICHandJUDE

I have two gereyounds now and had one that

passed away a couple years ago at age 15 1/2.

None of my greyts could tolerate the pigs ears.

One of them would choke and the other two

get loose stools. I prefer not to give them pig ears.

Guest TBSFlame
Thanks for all the advice. I think no more piggy ears for my girl. We'll go get some bully sticks tomorrow. She does seem to have a sensitive tummy. I have to remember I've only had her 7 weeks and I'm still getting to know her - feels like she's been mine forever. She's very deep in my heart. :wub:

I'm being extra careful with her, too, after what the so-called vet told me "suspected cardiomyopathy." I got a second opinion and was assured that she's a very healthy girl...but I'm still a little nervous. :unsure

Our first grey could not eat them as they caused him an upset tummy but most things did. I don't use pig ears at all. I have a friend that uses bully sticks and her hounds love them.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest iaksma

LOL....perfect timing on this post! I bought a bag of pigs ears from the local pet shop (Mud Bay Granary) and gave Mabel one last night. I couldn't sleep this morning, got up at 4 a.m. stepped out of the bedroom and right into a pile of doo.... She was shaking a little bit last night and I thought she was cold so I covered her up...she must have had to go and I didn't see the signs. When I let her out she went again.

Stepping in doo at 4 a.m. is sure to wake you up! That'll teach me to pay more attention to Mabel's body language :D Luckily, I believe Mud Bay will take food items back if they don't agree with your pet.

Guest meandmygreys
LOL....perfect timing on this post! I bought a bag of pigs ears from the local pet shop (Mud Bay Granary) and gave Mabel one last night. I couldn't sleep this morning, got up at 4 a.m. stepped out of the bedroom and right into a pile of doo.... She was shaking a little bit last night and I thought she was cold so I covered her up...she must have had to go and I didn't see the signs. When I let her out she went again.

Stepping in doo at 4 a.m. is sure to wake you up! That'll teach me to pay more attention to Mabel's body language :D Luckily, I believe Mud Bay will take food items back if they don't agree with your pet.

:sick YEP !! That'll wake ya up every time !!