Question About Protein Levels

Asia had a wellness done as I want to have her teeth cleaned again, she has icky teeth. She is 7 years old. Her blood showed a low protien level the Albumin (?) was 2.1. Last blood taken over a year ago for her other teeth cleaning was fine. Her urine is fine. My vet said that her thyroid was borderline low. He wants to check her blood again for the albumin and do a thyroid panel. She really needs to have dentals every 2 years and I hope that she isn't having any kidney problems, I can live with the low thyroid if that is the case.

Any thoughts on this?

"Albumin (ALB): 2.70 - 3.80 g/dl Definition: Synthesized in the liver, Albumin contains the highest concentration of protein in plasma. It's prime function is to keep fluid from leaking into the tissues and is also a good indicator of kidney and liver disease. "

Edited by Madeara
"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

Well I did my reading and thanks to a company we suppy to I read this information

http://www.heska.com/erd/faq.asp#4

My vet emailed me to tell me not to worry. Before we get to much further into working up her liver we need to repeat the lab work to confirm that this is a real finding and not lab error.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine" Audrey, Nova, Cosmo and Holden in NY - Darius and Asia you are both irreplaceable and will be forever in my heart beatinghearts.gif

How were the other protein values--Total protein, globulin? How was the cholesterol and calcium values?

I wouldn't worry yet but you if wanted to you could always perform a bile acids test to check the liver function. How is Asia'a stool?

She has a firm stool thank god! I know loose stool can be a sign of loss of protein. The more I read the more scared I get. But she is having the blood tested again today a 4:15.

This quote from Heska means that this is an important thing to look at the albumin level

At what age should dogs and cats be tested for microalbuminuria?

Heska recently completed nationwide studies on the prevalence of microalbuminuria in dogs and cats. Results demonstrate that overall approximately 25% of dogs and cats are positive for microalbuminuria. Additionally, an age-related increase in prevalence occurs with a significant increase in the prevalence of microalbuminuria in middle-aged dogs and cats. Therefore, all middle-aged and older animals should be tested. The earlier ongoing nephron damage is detected, the earlier steps can be taken to identify a cause, and therapeutic intervention can be initiated to halt or slow the disease progression. High-risk breeds (e.g., breeds with congenital renal disease) or animals with additional risk factors (e.g., systemic [inflammatory, infectious, metabolic, neoplastic] disease) should be candidates for testing at an earlier age.

I think you're confusing Albumin and microalbumin. Albumin is tested from blood serum and microalbumin is tested from the urine. You had mentioned the the urinalysis came back okay. Hope the new test comes back within normal limits. Keep us updated! :P