Blood In Urine

Guest RKFoofytail

Guest RKFoofytail

HI,

I Have a 4 yr. old female grey that I adopted last year. Laynie is my first grey. This past Sunday I took her to a street fair and we walked around for a few hours. It was a little hot , but no too bad. I gave her lots of water. She didn't pee the whole time we were there. When we got home I made sure she peed before we went inside. It came out all blood. Not that pure red blood- but more brown. Like blood and urine together. I took her temperature and it was normal. She proceeded to pee like that 2 more times that evening. She was fine in every other way. By morning her urine was a litttle dark but not bloody. after that she was completely normal. I had planned on taking her to the vet if she still had the blood in the Am, but since it cleared I didn't take her. Has any one ever experienced this? Do you think she got overheated at the street fair? I know that greyhounds are more sensitive to heat then other breeds, so could this have been heat related??

New greyhound owner here- so any info or comments are welcome.

Guest Kipsmom

Most likely its not heat related. I would take her to the vet and get her tested for a UTI. :getwell Laynie and :welcome to greytalk!

Guest stealthydog

I personally would take her to the vet anyway and check for a bladder infection. My guy gets them frequently, which we are working on fixing. He never gives any indications other than slightly increased intake of water. I usually notice it through a darker than normal urine. UTI's can be painful, and I'm sure if left untreated could lead to worse things.

Daisy just finished a 30 day course of antibiotics for a recurrent bladder infection. When it was first caught, she also had blood in her urine. The test came back that she had a raging infection. When she finished that 10 day course, she was rechecked (no more blood in urine), it came back worse than ever. She just had a third sample taken today, and I'm hoping that this last course kicked it.

She needs to see a vet right away.

Mom to Daisy (1999-2012), LB (aka Little Bit), and Sammy James (aka Sammy or Buddy)