Rimadyl/pepcid?

Guest FireHorse

Guest FireHorse

My MIL took Luke to the vet while I was out of town-his once-in-awhile minor limp turned into a full-blown hobble after a zoomie session. Vet + x-rays says arthritis in his right front ankle, and now he's on Rimadyl and Synovi. I'm guessing the Rimadyl is bothering his tummy-getting him to eat has gotten to be a battle. (First he wanted to take the leftovers back to bed for laters; now he just abandons everything after the first few bites.)

I know he can have Pepcid, (or Pepto) but can someone remind me of the appropriate dose for either? I'll call the vet as soon as she opens today, but it'd be nice to sort of know what I'm talking about beforehand.

The good news is he seems to be on the mend. MIL said he wouldn't put his foot down at all, and he's now walking on it with only a bit of a limp. I got stink eye yesterday for taking him out on a leash when he clearly wanted to zoomie.

My big dogs get 1 Pepcid A/C or Tagamet about 15 minutes before their meds. Try to get something in the tummy with the meds. even if it just a few treats or a slice of bread.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Usually what I do is 1 regular Pepcid, wait 30 minutes, feed meal (or large snack), then give other meds.

If that (or GreyTzu's method) doesn't resolve the problem or if you see any other symptoms, quit giving the Rimadyl and call your vet, could be a different med would suit him better.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Usually what I do is 1 regular Pepcid, wait 30 minutes, feed meal (or large snack), then give other meds.

If that (or GreyTzu's method) doesn't resolve the problem or if you see any other symptoms, quit giving the Rimadyl and call your vet, could be a different med would suit him better.

My routine is about the same as Batmon.

I only use Pepcid because of the many drug interactions with Tagamet. :)

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Guest FireHorse

Wow. A little Pepcid got me a whole new dog! He clearly feels better, and is back to eating and playing like usual. I'm sure the Rimadyl helps--and his limp is mostly gone--but he's definitely perked up since I started the Pepcid.

He's only got a few days left on the Rimadyl-do I need to continue the Pepcid for another day or so after the Rimadyl is gone?

You can, I would, it won't hurt either way. :) Glad he is feeling better.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****