Lymphoma

Guest Nenasmom

Guest Nenasmom

My 13 year old greyhound, Nena, is awaiting biopsy results. Her vet says that she has lymphoma. I have done a little research on-line, but I was wondering what I should expect. I believe that if it is lymphoma, we are going to try prednisone as a treatment instead of chemo. I'm not sure, but I think chemo isn't the best answer and the vet says she will feel better on the prednisone. Just looking for other people's experience, not really medical advice, I'll save that for the vet. And maybe somebody could throw in a prayer or two. Thank you - Lisa

Guest 8_Greyt_Greys
My 13 year old greyhound, Nena, is awaiting biopsy results. Her vet says that she has lymphoma. I have done a little research on-line, but I was wondering what I should expect. I believe that if it is lymphoma, we are going to try prednisone as a treatment instead of chemo. I'm not sure, but I think chemo isn't the best answer and the vet says she will feel better on the prednisone. Just looking for other people's experience, not really medical advice, I'll save that for the vet. And maybe somebody could throw in a prayer or two. Thank you - Lisa

Sending prayers for you and you babe.

I just had one pass from lymphoma a couple weeks ago. Charg had B cell in his neck. We did Chemo. (He was 4) Charge did good up for 9 months and then he went quik. He was never in pain and enjoyed life to the end.

We also had a mutt that got it at 14 yrs and we just did the predisone on him and he lived 6 months.

At her age the predisone will help her.

She will let you know when it is time. Charge did.

We had Charge on fish oil, E Fresh factor and cancer diet.

Guest LynnM

From the dogs I've assisted with during chemo, I've noticed that they either show almost immediate improvement or not at all. Fortunately, dogs don't tend to have the same side effects that humans do (the protocols for dogs are designed to give more time, not acheive full remission and dogs don't have the psychological issues about chemotherapy and cancer that people do). That said, lymphoma is one of the few cancers in dogs where a complete remission is occasionally acheived. In a very elderly dog, this probably would not be the case, but it can happen.

There is no right or wrong answer. You know your dog and what she can handle (For some dogs, trips to the vet for chemo would be worse than the illness itself. Others couldn't care less.)

I'm sorry you're faced with having to make these sorts of decisions.

Lynn

I went thru chemo with an 11 year old...it was not hard on him but the drugs would only work for a period of time. Then we had to go to something stronger. The last drug was too much and we stopped treatment. From diagnosis date Rascal had 15 months.

I would definately consider the quality of life and the overall health before lymphoma before I went with the chemo. It is very expensive and fortunately for me, Rascal was still in pretty good shape at 11 so none of the treatment really bothered him. He would have a day or two after where he might be a bit more tired than usual.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021