Grey Prescribed Corydalis

My senior grey who is 11 has had an issue with a degenerating disk in her neck which on more occassions than not bothers her from time to time. The disk bulges and presses on a nerve in her spine which causes shaky rear legs.

The past two weeks I have taken her for accupuncture treatments at the advice of her own vet. The first treatment I walked out with a completely different dog. She was so relaxed when I hugged ger after treatment that she actually was very mellow and pliable. The treatment went very well and she even didn't want to get up from her blanket when it was all done. She usually bolts for the door to get out as fast as she can.

Her second appointment one week later did not go as well and she came home the same, if not worse than when she went in. The Dr. was being considerate in taking her to the back area where it was much quieter so as she could relax better, but it ended up just making her more agitated as she had not acclimated to the area for a bit before her treatment began. She was stressed from the start.

Each treatment included 11-13 needles in various areas, along with current through most of the needles, and ended with vitamin b-12 shots in her rear feet and knees. This last visit he also sent her home with an herb called Corydalis which is a natural aid for swelling and nerve problems. Because I was concerned in getting her back on her feet again this week, I went back to giving her her Deramax and she has improved in the past few days. I would like to try the herb, but would also like some feedback from anyone here that has possibly tried it for their greys.

She has another treatment scheduld for this Friday to see how she does overall. I don't think we want to go back into the kennel area again as it just seemed to upset her. She was already relaxed in the exam room, but the vet did try to do right by her so she would not be disturbed during treatment with any unruly dogs coming into the front door.

Any insight if you have had any experience with Corydalis would be greatly appreciated.

I have no experience with Corydalis but I may give it a try. My boy has very similiar problems & unfortunately did not get any relief from acupuncture. It looks like it's pretty safe. Did your vet say you can give it with Deramax or should it be given alone?

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I will have to find out about giving it along with Deramax. The vet giving the accupuncture is not her regular vet, and I don't think he sees many greyhounds either. I know that if they are on pain meds, they should have about two weeks to flush from their systems before giving anything else. She is also on a half dose of Proin for incontinence, and gets a daily dose of Syn-Flex in her yogurt for her joints which I swear by!

I was more concerned with managing her current bout with the pain and swelling in her neck with the Deramax as I knew it would straighten her out again in a couple of days. I contacted Dr. Couto about the herb, and he really had no clear advice regarding the herb. He said he had no specific experience with administering it to hounds, but did hear that it can have benefits for nerve issues.

I think tomorrows appointment may decide if we will continue with the accupuncture treatments or not. I just cannot get over how well she did on the first one, but not the second. So far the jury is out at 50-50.

I have no experience with Corydalis but I may give it a try. My boy has very similiar problems & unfortunately did not get any relief from acupuncture. It looks like it's pretty safe. Did your vet say you can give it with Deramax or should it be given alone?