Wistful Thinking

Guest OurGreytLife

Guest OurGreytLife

Years ago when I was a dog trainer, I came across this poem written by another trainer, Barbara Marlton. When I first saw this poem, my own dog, a Samoyed, was just diagnosed with Osteo. I felt this poem said it all back then and now. This poem I'm dedicating to Pammy and her owners as well as to all those out there who have an elderly dog or one going through an illness, or have dogs, like me, waiting for us at the bridge.

Wistful Thinking

by Barbara Kahn, Marlton, NJ

I listen to the complaints and agonized confusion of new dog owners and think:

How lucky they are to be starting their path with this new dog;

How beautiful and healthy and virile are these animals

With the desire to run and jump and play games foremost on their minds.

I wonder why they can't think ahead

To the time when there's no more running or jumping, only painful slow walking;

When there's little game playing, mostly memories of past good times together;

When the muzzle is gray, the eyes cloudy and the virile, tautly muscled body is now soft and bowed.

And I wonder how they get so caught up in the difficulties that they can't see

the joys of puppyhood

and adolescence

and young adulthood,

replete with their problems, of course, but filled with boundless exuberance.

Can't they see how quickly it passes and how temporary these problems are?

And I think of you, and I wish we were starting our path again instead of coming to its inevitable end.

Oh how I wish to see you young and virile and full of fire and determination again;

How I wish you'd pull on the leash instead of being so unsteady in your footing;

How I wish you'd steal food from the counter instead of my having to think of force feeding;

How I wish you'd jump on me again instead of having to be helped to stand.

And when new owners are praying to God for the patience to last one more day with their dogs,

I'm praying to God to please give us one more good day together.

How I wish the others could see into the future and feel the pain of impending loss of such a special,

special friend.

Oh how I wish!

Guest hamiesmom2

What a beautiful poem and how true it is. I cherish each day with my beautiful 8yr old boy and my pretty little wild cat who is turning 10. I hope to have many, many more days with both of them.

How true. Beautiful.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest canagreyts

What a wonderful reminder of what we have to be grateful for. It is so hard to believe that this year is the 5th year that Maggie and Nebraska have been a part of our lives.

Nebby moved in and seldom ever caused much of a ripple in our pond. He is so solid and quiet and peaceful. Definately our alpha, but always a gentle presence.

Maggie ~ we adopted her at 3 1/2 years as a spooky, scared little girl. Within our home, she has always been the source of laughter, exasperation, frustration and very much in your face love :):lol! Outside her leash behaviour has always been frustrating and the need of much patience.

Now they are both going to be 8 this year and I can't believe that the time has passed so quickly. I pray I have many walks left in which I can be exasperated with both of them :).

Guest PhillyPups

How beautiful that is. I read this as my 12-1/2 year old is lying at my feet, my 11 year old is napping on his favorite bed, my 9 year old is sitting straight up on the love seat and we are all watching my 7 year old play with a stuffie, and tears are streaming down my face. I cherish the moments we have, and enjoy the learning process I have been through with each one of them, as there have been no difficulties, just my learning experiences.

Hug your hounds :wub:

Edited by PhillyPups

Guest jettcricket

...That is so beautiful and so true. I can't believe my babies are seniors! Cricket is 9 and my boy Jett is 8. I cherish each and every day and every moment with them. Because for any of us you just dont' know.

Thank you for sharing that with us. :)

Guest greyaspet

Well that just made me cry, my oldest girl is 13 1/2 and just because of old age is getting fragile. I never thought she would bless my life for this long and every minute I have her is a gift. Yes she was a wild thing in her young but in a fun way. Just thinking that I don't know how many more days, or months that she will brighten my day just by perking up her ears makes me sad but happy in a way I can't explain.

Thank you for posting this, now I have to rethink my "push all of my go crazy buttons every day" boy. Some day I will have to be at this stage with him.

Sheila

What a touching poem.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest trevdog

So true.....I have been on both sides now. We cherish the crazy puppy moments with Dallas cause all too soon, they grow up and things change.

Before you know it all you have are memories. I adore the fact she has taught Ossie how to be a puppy, something I doubt he has been even as a youngster......