Adopting A Retired Racer In March

Guest IcyNinja

Guest IcyNinja

Hi All,

I have begun the process of adopting a retired racer in March. I'm waitintg until March because I'm a teacher and happen to have a few weeks off for a Spring Break, which will give me lots of time with my new dog until I have to leave him/her for work.

I'm going to use one of these orginizations: SteelCity Greyhounds or Going Home Greyhounds

I'm a single homeowner, and I have a fenced in backyard. I hope I'm approved to adopt one of these big guys. I want a girl for some reason, but realize that's a bit silly to insist on gender.

Oh well. I thought I would just introduce myself. If anyone has any advice on greyhounds, let me know. I'm reading all the books and pretty much know what I'm getting into.

Guest ohgreyt

Congrats and welcome! This is a greyt site and the people here are very helpful. I just adopted my first grey in November. It has been an adventure. They teach you a lot! Mira is young-she didn't make it through racing school (yeah me!). She has been such a greyt addition to our family and such a fun companion. I love her to death. Good luck to you and feel free to post any questions you have. Reading the books is a greyt place to start!!!

Guest SquanHound

Welcome and congrats on choosing to adopt!! I would recommend Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies and Adopting the Racing Greyhound. I read a ton while I waited (sometime not so patiently :blush ) for my Ping. I was surprised to find both of these in my library, although I bought my own edition of Dummies for a reference guide. One piece of advice - don't let what you read scare you off. I thought I was getting a glass dog from what I had read, but in reality they are quite durable pups.

Guest IcyNinja

I have already read "Greyhounds" by Caroline Collie and am in the process of reading the dummies book. These are required reading for those orginizations.

Guest SquanHound

Fantastic! If you are also just looking for some general (but really insightful) dog books I would also recommend How to Speak Dog and How Dogs Think - both are written by Stanley Coren.

Guest jjsmom06

Icy,

I am SO excited that you are going to go through with a grey adoption. Both Xerxes and I had wanted to say something to you on the other dog forum when you were first looking at bull terriers, but I didn’t want to sway you from your original choice.

I wish you all the best and if you have any further questions please let me know. I don’t often come to greytalk but it is a fabulous place and you will love it here and learn so much. If you need to reach me, please feel free to contact me through the other site so I am sure to get it… I will pm you my email addy too!

Congrats again on a wonderful breed choice!

Oh…and Xerxes sends his congrats too and from now till March we will BOTH be sure to keep reminding you that you are making the right choice in breed! Greys are the best!

:P

Shelly

Guest stealthydog

Welcome to Greytalk. I adopted mine in November and haven't regretted it for a second! I honestly think he's the best dog I've ever owned. Keep surfing this site and you'll learn tons of stuff. Good luck on your adoption and don't forget to post pics when you get your dog.

Guest garysgreys

Welcome to the wonderful world of Greyhounds !!! One thing You'll learn is that Greyhounds are like Wise potato chips...... You can't have just one, just ask My three !!! :gh_bow:gh_run:gh_lay

Guest DoofBert

Congratulations on your decision and welcome to GT! Sounds as though you do have the info you need. Please do the groups you mention a favor.... only submit an application with one group or the other, not both.. It takes a group some work to come up with just the right match for a family and we don't want two groups to be working at the same time.

Welcome!!! This is a fantastic site. There are so many people here with a vast amount of knowledge on the breed and pet ownership (and life :lol: ) in general. You'll find it a fantastic resource.

Sounds like you're doing the right things! Let us know how the adoption process goes!

VPCTshirtLogo3-1-1.jpg

petblink7.gifpetblink63.gif

"Speak your mind - even if your voice shakes" - Maggie Kuhn

"It's better to be hated for who you are, than loved for who you are not" - Unknown

"Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "Oh Crap. She's up." - Unknown

Guest KennelMom

:welcome I hope your adoption process goes smootly and you bring your grey-baby home in March! Sounds like you are doing all the right research.

I adopted a girl for my first two....now after having several of each, I honestly dont' have a preference for either. But with so many greys looking for homes, if you want a girl I'm sure the adoption group will be able to find the perfect little girl for you. But I think it's great that you are open to both...personality really is key!

Guest IcyNinja

What are common reasons they might reject you as a good home for a greyhound? Not that I'm really worried, I should be accepted. But something about the "phone interview" is a little intimidating.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes
What are common reasons they might reject you as a good home for a greyhound? Not that I'm really worried, I should be accepted. But something about the "phone interview" is a little intimidating.

Don't let the words "phone interview" intimidate you. Just be yourself, be honest and ask and answer questions.

Good luck to you.

Oh, and :welcome2 to greytalk

Guest RedTigerJazz
:welcome IcyNinja!!! I'm from Pittsburgh, too, and adopted my boy from GHG. I've since met lots of people from Steel City. The philosophies and practices of the two groups are very different. GHG fosters, Steel City keeps the dogs in kennels until they're adopted. GHG also lets you pick out your pup, unlike most groups that match a dog to you. Being in Pittsburgh, you also have the option of adopting directly from GPA/Wheeling at the track. Do your research. Feel free to PM me if you'd to chat about the differences in the groups. I work in Robinson. Oh, Steel City will be at the Home Show in Monroeville this weekend. (I'm not sure about GHG.) Both will be at the big Home Show in the Convention Center in March. When is your break from school.

Welcome and congrats on the decision to adopt a grey.

You won't regret it. I have found that they are quite addicting not unlike this site.

Please post pic of your new baby when he/she arrives home.

Again congrats and welcome.

Guest Brandy_b

Welcome! The anticipation will be excruiciating!! It was for me anyway :P But time will fly, and it gives you a chance to buy tons of stuff for your hound!

<3 Brandy & Caliloka

Guest Mickeysmom

Congrats! We have been owned by 10 of these gorgeous, sweet dogs over the past 13 years and fostered many more. You won't believe how much they add to your life and how did you ever live without them. :wub:

Guest Cossiedog

Hi Icy,

I'll be getting my pup in March too. I'm not sure I'm going to manage the wait! I've already spent £200stirling or so on stuff for her!!

We'll have to keep each other going on the long haul towards being owned by a grey! My pup (Cosworth) is going to be 12 weeks when we pick her up so I'm battening down the hatches and preparing for a bumpy ride. Totally excited though- they're such fabulous dogs! Yikes- I can't wait!!!

Guest IcyNinja

RedTiger,

Thanks. I tried to PM you but I don't have enough posts yet. GHG seems to have more options, and they have more dogs listed on their website. I would like to take "her" home around March 17th. I have 2 weeks off then and it would be perfect. Do you also recommend GHG over SteelCity??

Guest RedTigerJazz
RedTiger,

Thanks. I tried to PM you but I don't have enough posts yet. GHG seems to have more options, and they have more dogs listed on their website. I would like to take "her" home around March 17th. I have 2 weeks off then and it would be perfect. Do you also recommend GHG over SteelCity??

Hi, Icy...

I realized after I made my post that I can't pm, yet either. :blush

Give me a call or stop in at the Borders Express Bookstore in the Mall @ Robinson when you get the chance.

~~Lisa~~ :bgeorge

:welcome IcyNinja!!! I'm from Pittsburgh, too, and adopted my boy from GHG. I've since met lots of people from Steel City. The philosophies and practices of the two groups are very different. GHG fosters, Steel City keeps the dogs in kennels until they're adopted. GHG also lets you pick out your pup, unlike most groups that match a dog to you. Being in Pittsburgh, you also have the option of adopting directly from GPA/Wheeling at the track. Do your research.

I wanted a hound that came right from a kennel so that I could be the one to teach "her" everything. The group I chose to go with (there are three in my immediate area) had more hounds available and let me choose one. At least that's what I thought I was doing, when in fact Grace picked me! It's been very fun, I've had Grace for about 9 months now. I have #2 on the way in three weeks, so do be sure you can eventually accommodate many more hounds in the future! :lol It truely is impossible to have just one!

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)